Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Series 7 size in mm??

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RDoss

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone happen to know what Series 7 is in millimeters? I'm trying to find a Series 7 to 49mm step down ring, but I'm not having much luck.

Thanks

Randal Doss
Lufkin, TX
clnfrd

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This site lists a 49mm to Series VII: http://camera-depot.com/bargains.htm
RDoss

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the website info. That one is the wrong way, though. I want to step DOWN from Series 7 to 49mm.

Good website, though!

Randal Doss
Lufkin, TX
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2003-11-12 06:58, RDoss wrote:
Thanks for the website info. That one is the wrong way, though. I want to step DOWN from Series 7 to 49mm.

Good website, though!

Randal Doss
Lufkin, TX
There's a lot of confusion about up and down. Do you want to put a 49mm filter into a Ser. VII adapter, or do you want to put a Ser. VII gadget on a 49 mm lens?

Either way, ask Ian Broomhead of SRBFilm (www.srbfilm.co.uk) what he can do for you. He stocks step rings for putting a Ser. VII gadged on a 49 mm lens, can make any step ring you want. For a price, of course.

If you want to put a 49 mm filter into a Ser. VII holder, you might be better off getting a Ser. VII filter that will drop in.

Cheers,

Dan
alecj

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect that will be a custom job, Randal. Series VII is 2". Kodak lists that as 50.5 mm. I've seen other references to it as 50.8. Either way, that's far too close to 49mm to be practical, I would guess.

What is it you're trying to do?
RDoss

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm trying to get from the Series 6 push on adapter, on my Crown Graphics, to my 49mm filter system. I haven't been able to locate a Series 6 (44mm) to 49 mm step UP ring, so I found a step up ring from Series 6 to Series 7. I thought the transition back DOWN to 49mm (that is smaller in diameter than the Series 7 threads) would be a little easier to make (stacks up a couple of rings on the front of the lens, but I don't see that as a problem). Guess I was wrong. The transition from Series 6 to 49mm doesn't seem to be possible without some custom work. Any ideas??

Any and all help (or comments) is welcomed and appreciated!

Thanks

Randal Doss
Lufkin, TX
alecj

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heliopan makes that adapter ring (44-49). It isn't cheap. The Filter Connection has it for about $26.

http://www.2filter.com/prices/catalog.html
Henry

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're correct, a 44-49 step ring is not common, although I did acquire one a while ago at a camera show. But here's what I found when I used it with my series VI slip rings: the larger diameter of the 49 mm filters interferes with my stubby fingers when adjusting the shutter settings. This problem will be worse yet if I use a 44-52, and by the time I get to 44-55 it's impossible. I rely on my collection of series VI filters for all my work where filtration is needed.

If there are any good camera shows in your area, or photo stores with a junk bin, you might find series VI filters. Don't pay too much for them, though; I picked mine up for no more than $1-2 apiece.
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2003-11-12 08:15, RDoss wrote:
I'm trying to get from the Series 6 push on adapter, on my Crown Graphics, to my 49mm filter system. I haven't been able to locate a Series 6 (44mm) to 49 mm step UP ring, so I found a step up ring from Series 6 to Series 7. I thought the transition back DOWN to 49mm (that is smaller in diameter than the Series 7 threads) would be a little easier to make (stacks up a couple of rings on the front of the lens, but I don't see that as a problem). Guess I was wrong. The transition from Series 6 to 49mm doesn't seem to be possible without some custom work. Any ideas??

Any and all help (or comments) is welcomed and appreciated!

Thanks

Randal Doss
Lufkin, TX
Um, Randall, several centuries ago when I bought a Series 7 gadget at the Spiratone that used to be, the salesman told me that Ser. 7 = 54 mm. Unless it was 55, but I think it was 54. Salesmen are often mistaken and memory is fallible, so you'd better check.

Cheers, and apologies for being slow to remember,

Dan
RDoss

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tahnsk for all your help folks. Interesting info on the shutter adjustment interference. Haven't thought of that. There are a couple of photo shops in Houston that have some old stuff. I'll keep looking.

Thanks again!

Randal Doss
Lufkin, TX
danimal

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Randal,
I hope that you're doing well and, coincidentally, still monitoring this thread. Here are some notes:

Series sizes:

IV = 20.6 mm
4.5 = 25.5 mm
V = 30.2 mm
5.5 = 35.9 mm
VI = 41.3 mm
VII = 50.8 mm
7.5L = 57mm
VIII = 63.5mm
8.5/5.5L = 74.8 x 5.6mm
8.5/8mm = 74.8 x 8mm
IX = 82.6 mm
93 = 93mm
103 = 103mm
107 = 107 mm
119 = 119mm
125 = 125 mm
138 = 138 mm

Also, KEH has a Series VII-to-49mm step down adapter on their website. The price is $5. Here's the link:

http://www.keh.com/shop/product.cfm?bid=FI&cid=25&sid=newused&crid=6534526

Good luck,
Dan

Henry

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Um, are you sure that series VI is 41.3 mm? The thread on all my series VI slip rings-retaining rings-lens hoods, etc., is definitely 44 mm. Besides, 41.3 seems like a mighty odd dimension.
glennfromwy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2004 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Series VI thread size is 44mm. I suspect that 41.3mm is the size of the filter itself. By the way, I noticed on the KEH link given above that they had more than one step down ring available. One was only 3 bucks!

[ This Message was edited by: glennfromwy on 2003-12-31 16:34 ]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Accessories Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: