Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Missing Knob on Graflex RB Series B

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tassietiger

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2002 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I purchased this camera about a year ago from an antique shop with the intention of selling it. Upon further careful examination yesterday I discovered that the knob on the upper "back right", which I believe is turned counter-clockwise to set the "width" of the shutter, has broken off cleanly. I tried to grab the "stub" with some pliers but it will not turn easily. I am not sure if that indicates further mechanical problems, or more likely, I do not know what I am doing and am missing some release or what not? The rest of the camera seems to be in perfectly clean and serviceable. It has its original leather box, three film backs in their original boxes, and a Graflex catalog from 1941. I looked up in McKeown's price guide that these cameras are not uncommon, and usually sell for between $100-150. Given the lack of this knob, any feelings on what it might be worth? Is there any way of replacing it? Is this a common problem with that control on this model? Regards, William
OriEri

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2002 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently discovered a Series B camera.

The knob in question adjusts the slit width. It will not turn if the shutter has been triggered, unless the lever with the letter H on it has been pulled back. At that point it will turn counter-clockwise as you face the knob. Clockwise motion is acheived by then pulling on the "M" lever. Both of these levers are on the upper right.
OriEri

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2002 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently discovered a Series B camera.

The knob in question adjusts the slit width. It will not turn if the shutter has been triggered, unless the lever with the letter H on it has been pulled back. At that point it will turn counter-clockwise as you face the knob. Clockwise motion is acheived by then pulling on the "M" lever. Both of these levers are on the upper right.
bertsaunders

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2002 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the aperture turn key is missing, the cloth shutter cannot be set at all! Did the shaft break off, or did the small taper pin shear off, and do you have the key itself, or is it lost? Look at Ebay item
#1378743202...third photo down shows the turn key! Let me know if that is the missing part on your camera! Hard to imagine
the shaft breaking, but the keys sometimes rust and break! Bert
tassietiger

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2002 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bert,

Thanks for your reply. I looked at the eBay auction you posted and it was hard to answer your question. This camera, a Series B, looks nothing like that Speed Graphic. Also, I could not judge the third photo down as that auction showed four photos, in two rows of two. The "twist" handle of my camera, which is completely missing, has broken off of the "post" that extends into the camera. I have tried to grasp the exterior remanants with some pliers, but I am unable to turn it in either direction. My guess is a person needs to be very savvy to operate this camera and someone has previously tried to force this knob, which failed under the stress. Are there adjustments that need to be made to get it to turn in the normal course of operation? If so, and assuming they were not done, that would explain a novice causing so much damage. Any further suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Regards, William
bertsaunders

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2002 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Need to know how much of the shaft is left! (The key that is missing would look like a winder key on an alarm clock)
If the shaft broke off, the end of it would look like a broken branch on a tree, if it is flat on the end, then there is hope!Remove any accessory backs, from the back of the camera, You will be able to see the curtain, if it is still there!
If the shaft is not broken off, remove the remains of the small taper key in the end of it, use wire as described below >>If the shaft is broken off<<, drill a small hole in the end of it, and cut a piece of suitable stiff wire to use for leverage..turn the shaft counterclockwise to see if the curtain will move...and let me know what happens! Bert

[ This Message was edited by: bertsaunders on 2002-09-09 20:00 ]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> View Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: