Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Soft case for View II?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RichS

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2002 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm taking my 4x5 Speed on a trip and thrilled at the prospect (my first trip with the 4x5). However, I really like my View II, perhaps 'better'? and wish I could bring that also/instead. Unfortunately, the original hard case doesn't work well to carry things around on a trip. I have a backpack for the Speed and wondered if there was anything similar that would hold the View II?? (and lenses, holders, etc.)
Of course the big problems are the 18 inch rail, and not wanting to remove the standards from the rail. Makes for a cumbersome item for a backpack or softcase...
If anyone would know of such a case, but prefereably not one of the really expensive ones, I'd really appreciate hearing some suggestions. Unfortunately, after buying the camera equipment, there's very little left over for a new case...
Thanks...
Rich...
Moontree Photo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2002 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rich,

I took my View II to New Mexico a couple of years ago in a backpack and have regretted it ever since. I took the standards off the rail and placed them with the bellows collapsed in a padded pack cube and then packed the rest of the items in various pockets in the back back. Because the back pack had no rigid sides, the standards got twisted and turned until some of the joints pulled lose. On further inspection I found that the standards themselves had been spread apart just enough to allow the pivot joints to not fit snugly.

That said, I would look for a couple of things in a back pack for this equipment. First, look for a back pack with a good solid frame. Next, provide some stability to the standards suck as wrapping them securely to keep them from spreading. I don't know if it helps or hurts to take them off the monorail, but it would be difficult to get the whole assembly in one pack without collapsing it down considerably. The last time I took mine out I carried it complete, with both standards pushed to one end, then wrapped the camera with some webbed strapping belts so that they didn't move around a lot. Put all this in an Eagle Creek travel pack and went on my way. The camera seemed to hold up a lot better this time. Eagle Creek has a bunch of pack cubes and bags for film, lenses, and accessories that fit well with it all. I had my wife carry my clothes

Good luck!

Ken Davis
Solana Beach, CA
RichS

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2002 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oww... Nasty story. That's what I would be afraid of with carrting it in any kind of soft case. I was hoping to find a soft case or backpack that was actually made for a view cameras. Unfortunately, the 'good' cases are very expensive and a bit beyond my means. As long as I have my ebay account anyway
The factory hard case works fine as long as I stay near the car. But it's a pain to carry any distance, not that I have carried it much... And it doesn't hold everythign I'd need. Never did figure out what 'travel light' meant?
Don't remember seeing 'Eagle Creek'? Can I find them on-line anywhere to take a look? If they're priced too high, at least I could have something to look forward to

Thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> View Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: