Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kodak Ektar with Flash Supermatic Shutter
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
clnfrd

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2002 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Neal.
clnfrd

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2002 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Neal.
extraparts

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2002 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This all may be a moot point.

At lunch today, I was reading the “Focal Encyclopedia of Photography” 1969 edition pg. 645. It states:

“F synchronization closes the firing circuit when the shutter blades are half open, about 7 to 8 milliseconds before they are fully open.”

It also states that:
“F synchronization can also be used with now obsolete relay fired electronic flash units which have a relay to fire the flash which introduces an 8 millisecond delay”

It seems to me from reading this that at the smaller F stops typical with large format photography, the shutter blades will have already cleared the opening in the iris before the flash is fired even with a F sync setting. You would only need a X sync if you were using larger apertures. Also this suggests the possibility of going out and getting a 3 volt relay and inducing your own 8 millisecond delay before the flash is fired.

There was also a picture of a mechanical flash synchronizer that screwed into the cable release socket which would provide either X or F flash sync depending on how it was adjusted. It looked a bit iffy though.

So even if your shutter doesn’t have the second set of contacts it would seem that you have other options.

Neal
clnfrd

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2002 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Neal, I guess we've about worn out this subject. I certainly appreciate all of your help. Another option I have is to use a solenoid (I have one)...but space is limited on a Century Graphic Lens Board/Standard. The Heiland Strobonar II, a governement issue, has a 0 to 25 MS adjustable delay if one uses a solenoid as a tripper. Ain't this fun? I'll figure out something. Fortunately, I also have the Miniature Speed Graphic with the Rapax Shutter that IS synced for X flashes. Good talkin' to you...and thanks again. Fred.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Lenses Help All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: