Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

kalart rangefinder

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jack andersson

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2002 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have an 80mm lens on my 2 X 3 Century Graphic - I can't adjust the rangefinder per
instructions on this site - do I need a different cam ? thnaks in advance
alecj

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2002 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uh, Jack. There is NO cam in the rangefinder mechanism on the Century. At least none which is user interchangable.

What adjustment are you having difficulty with? For different formats, normally you adjust the wheel [which in fact IS a cam, but it isn't user interchangable] which the rangefinder arm rides against when the bed is racked out. You can access it through the right-side [rangefinder side] of the focusing bed [rack the bed out until you can see the cam with a groove in it [for a screwdriver]. Is that what you've been moving?

Normally, you adjust it until the image meets that seen by looking through the back on the focusing screen. Also, it should match the focusing scale [be careful there - a lot of cameras have had different lenses attached w/o changing the scalesl].

Is that any help?
Les

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2002 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the quirks of the 80mm lens is that it's so short that if the infinity stop were set up normally, it would fall on the hinge.

So

ONE stop is placed on the rail opposite the rangefinder, BEHIND the rear standard.

So when using the the camera you would open the camera pull the standard out, flip up the stop and push the standard back until it stops.

You can't use two stops because the eccentric for the rangefinder is in the way.
jack andersson

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2002 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Les & alecj - this is the problem I'm having. My stops are set at infinity i.e i pull out the bed till it hits the stops and I'm @ infinity. I make my adjustments @ 25'
and then again at infinity (turning the eccentric screw if neccessary). i make the 25' adjustment and then the 15' adjustment, then infinity again, then 25' and 15' till they're right on - go back to infinity and I can't align it - it's out of range or something
(les - my infinity stops are well forward
of the hinge!)
alecj

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2002 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the problem, Jack. I'd bet the camera is still set up for the original lens, probably a 103mm. I also bet your focus scale on the bed is wrong too. If you'll take it off and look on the reverse, there's a number. Post it and we'll look it up for you.

So, for that lens, either the stops must be moved [not an easy job to do right] or an extra stop installed just for that lens [that's what I would recommend].
jack andersson

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2002 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what does the focusing scale have to do with anything? who uses a focusing scale on any
format camera ? one uses a rangefinder or
ground-glass !?!

please come back - (after you've thought about it)
jdman

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2002 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have several cameras in medium format and 35 mm that do not have a rangefinder or Ground Glass. By using depth of field it is pretty easy to
get sharp pictures, i.e action type. Example: 6x9 format, 80mm lens, F-16, Distance scale set to 16 feet, you will be in focus from 8.5 feet to 157.11. When push comes to shove, and using a sports finder, the scales come in pretty handy. Russ
alecj

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2002 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-07-05 18:10, jack andersson wrote:
what does the focusing scale have to do with anything? who uses a focusing scale on any
format camera ? one uses a rangefinder or
ground-glass !?!

please come back - (after you've thought about it)

Doesn't take much thinking, Jack. Maybe you don't use flash, [especially flash bulbs] so you don't have to do the calculations, but I do and it's a lot easier to make them if you know the exact distance.

Since, at the moment you don't have accurate use of your RF, you are left only with a "guess" or use of the GG. I like more options than that. Even if your RF was set up accurately right now, if you changed lenses, you wouldn't have use of your RF either on your Century! If you look at many Graphics, you'll find a lot of them had more than one focus scale attached. This is true even on the top rangefinder models [4x5] where cams could be used to adjust for different lenses.

I certainly use the scales on my Graphic and on my Hasselblad. There, the DOF scales come into use. All these parts were put there for a good reason, and are necessary for the full use of the camera and its accessories.

Alec

[ This Message was edited by: alecj on 2002-07-06 02:14 ]
RKnoppow

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2002 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The instructions I posted some time ago are for 4x5 cameras. The settings for shorter focal length lenses are different although the procedure is the same. I am away from home at the moment so do not have access to my Kalart materials. I will post again later with more info on the small format RF.

jack andersson

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2002 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alecj -

The numbers on the bottom of the focusing scale on my 2 X 3 are 30817-3 - will this
help?

Thanks again
alecj

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2002 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darn, Jack. No help at all. I don't know whether there was an earlier set of scales, or what. Yours is only the second p/n that wasn't on my list. I can't identify 30817-3.

My list covers lenses from 47mm up to 381mm, and the Graflex part numbers all begin with either 30881- or 30882-

Sorry I can't help. Maybe someone else has a list with that p/n identified.

Alec
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: