Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Original Pacemaker color?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Baker

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2002 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was the leather outer covering on the Pacemaker Graphics (1950-made Speed, in particular) brown or black? I'm cleaning mine, and it's a nice reddish-brown on the corners, but all the flat surfaces are black.
Is it dyed black, or just really dirty?
Les

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2002 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

every near mint, still in the box, never used Pacemaker I've seen has black leather. The other colors are from (I'm guessing) the dye process, the fading of the dye process, and overall age.
45PSS

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2002 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought Graflex followed Henry Ford's moto:
You can have any color you want as long as its Black (military excluded).

Baker

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2002 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Odd. The thing that got me started cleaning it is, the black is flaking off, like paint. I'd set down the camera and have little flecks of paint on my left fingertips. I thought it was the paint from the inside of the camera, but today I handled it without opening it, and still got the paint flecks. A bit of scraping with the back of a knife blade confimed that it's coming off the leather. Any ideas what's going on here?
45PSS

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2002 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joking aside, I have seen the dye used on leather flake and/or peel off like paint, in thin layers. I do not know how to cure other than checking with a leather expert.

Scoop

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2002 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can easily redye the leather on a Speed Graphic with black liquid shoe polish.

Go over the camera once with a bit of soap on a sponge to remove any muck that may have acumulated on the leather. Then paint the liquid shoe polish onto the leather and let it soak in a bit before wiping off the excess with a paper towel. Corners and scuffed areas usually need at least two coatings.

After the leather has dried, go over the camera with black paste shoe polish to bring up some gloss.

Wear rubber gloves when using the liquid polish or you'll match the Speed Graphic.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: