Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sheet flim for a 2X3 century graphic

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cjm

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2002 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just purchased a century graphic, which
came with sheet film. Most of the film was
not open but have a dev. date of nov. 1964.
I have a few questions:
1. Can I use this film?
2. Can I store this flim?

Thank you for your help!

Carl
Les

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2002 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you use this film?

Sure.

But Will it make great pictures?

Nope.

It depends how much work you want to do in the dark room. As film ages it fogs all by itself, so the contrast will be low. Extending the time to increase the contrast will only increase the fog along with the highlights.

If you take a "what the heck" approach then it can be an adventure, you might even get a printable image out of it.

If I were in your shoes, I'd shoot it at about half the rated speed. Develop normally in Xtol 1:1 or full strength and I'd read up on adding benzitriozole to reduce fogging. If that was too much, then just print through the fog and maybe use a higher filter/grade of paper.

But to use it for your friends wedding? Not a chance.

I found an old Polaroid 110A camera that still had roll film in it (yes Polaroid came as a roll way back when) I knew it was shot, dried up, etc. but my girlfriend (now wife) was interested in it so I went though motions of using the camera and used a bare light bulb as a subject. The film was the super fast ISO 3000, but I shot it very slowly, like 1/8 @ f11. I waiting the 60 seconds and was opening up the door, saying, "Now if this had been good film, you'd see an image.... HOLY #@?!! IT WORKED!!"
It was a bit fuzzy but for open 20+year old Polaroid I was just amazed that I had gotten anything.

[ This Message was edited by: Les on 2002-06-07 20:46 ]
Les

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2002 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you use this film?

Sure.

But Will it make great pictures?

Nope.

It depends how much work you want to do in the dark room. As film ages it fogs all by itself, so the contrast will be low. Extending the time to increase the contrast will only increase the fog along with the highlights.

If you take a "what the heck" approach then it can be an adventure, you might even get a printable image out of it.

If I were in your shoes, I'd shoot it at about half the rated speed. Develop normally in Xtol 1:1 or full strength and I'd read up on adding benzitriozole to reduce fogging. If that was too much, then just print through the fog and maybe use a higher filter/grade of paper.

But to use it for your friends wedding? Not a chance.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Film Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: