Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A few quick questions covering the basics...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
vic valis

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2002 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have recently purchased an anniversary Speed Graphic to augment my current pre-Anniversy model. Most of the lenses I use are very old, and most in barrel only, so I needed a camera I could use with my Bowens monolites. When I look for a sync cord to plug into the focal plane shutter, what am I looking for... by that, I mean, what is the connection called. My understanding was that the bi-pole is for the front shutters. Hopefully I'm not looking for a connection type that has been extinct for ages. A name or even a part number would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

jeff

It said "good-bye."
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2002 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-07-31 20:27, vic valis wrote:
Have recently purchased an anniversary Speed Graphic to augment my current pre-Anniversy model. Most of the lenses I use are very old, and most in barrel only, so I needed a camera I could use with my Bowens monolites. When I look for a sync cord to plug into the focal plane shutter, what am I looking for... by that, I mean, what is the connection called. My understanding was that the bi-pole is for the front shutters. Hopefully I'm not looking for a connection type that has been extinct for ages. A name or even a part number would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

jeff

I don't think your camera's focal plane shutter will synchonize with electronic flash. Two problems. First, if it has sync at all (is there a bipost connector anywhere on the body?), it will be set up for FP class bulbs, that is it will fire the bulb before the shutter is open. Second, at all speeds except 'T', the shutter opening is not as tall as the gate, so even if the camera had 'X' class sync, electronic flash would illuminate only part of the frame.

Two solutions. Lens in or in front of a shutter with 'X' sync. 'Open flash' technique, i. e., room lights out, fire shutter at 'T', fire flash manually, close shutter.

Cheers, also regrets,

Dan
vic valis

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2002 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like i will be trying the open flash method. This is an Ebay purchase, and have not had the chance to examine the camera closeup. I will get a chance to experiment, so we'l see what happens. Thanks.

jeff
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Flash Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: