Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Schematics, technical drawings, blue prints of a 3 cell unit
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigJule

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2002 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I will be honest. I am a prop-builder, and I would like to attemp to replicate a 3 cell graflex.

I am looking for any type of technical data on the dimensions of the 3 cell graflex, non synch flashgun.

I don't know if any exist in the hands of enthusiasts.

I would like to try to replicate the unit, so that my impending project does not destroy any treasured antiques.

If any one can help (a scanned copy or clear photocopy would be great), I would be very greatful.

If you would like to tell me to go pound sand, that is fine as well!

[ This Message was edited by: BigJule on 2002-05-23 20:53 ]
Les

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2002 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Big Jule,
Please do not take my familiarity for a sign of disrespect but are youz the same Big Jule from East Cicero Illinoiz that likes to drink milk and shoot crap?

I wuz just wondering... wouldn't want to tell THE Big Jule to pound sand.

I have yet to see any original building/manufacturing drawings from anything out of Graflex and since said company has already taken that long boat to heaven I would not be optimistic for them to be showing up any time soon.

However I do have one or two of the said specimens at my disposal and would like to help you in your bizness proposition in any way I can.

BigJule

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2002 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually Les, that is the reference I am using (one of my recent parts onstage, I act as well as build things!).

Any info you could give me regarding the technical specs would be wonderful. I have been reading the other posts on the site, and I understand the concern of serious collectors not wanting their cherised items to be milled down into toys. That is why I am taking this route.

If I can replicate the look, shape and size, my client would be happy. As long as it looks good, it doesn't have to be made exactly as the original item I am trying to dupe.

What could you compare the size of the unit to? Is it the same thickness/length as a standard 3 D-cell maglite? Maybe a standard size pipe for plumbimg?

Thanks for the reply, any help you could provide will go a long way!

[ This Message was edited by: BigJule on 2002-05-23 20:52 ]
Les

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2002 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the diameter is 1.5" the overall lenght is 10 5/8", it's 3 5/8 from the bottom to the bottom edge of the band, the band is 2" wide. Do a search for light sayber and plumbing as I remember somebody having a website showing how to make a realistic sayber out of chrome sink drain pipe.

Darth's sayber* was made from a copy of a Heiland flash, which are cheap and readily available and have more in common with chrome drain pipe than I care to admit.

When my daughter was about 3 she fell in love with Guys and Dolls. We had both sound tracks, the movie and a video about making the Nathan Lane sound track. She could sing most of the play at the drop of a hat. Thus my knowledge of Big Jule, Harry The Horse, Nicely Nicely Johnson, and the rest of the gang.

I know one of the bit players in the Sinatra movie played the part of the comedian in a USO show for a MASH episode. Can't remember his name.

signed,

Sky-- not Luke either

* I'm purposely mis-spelling this because the forum won't let you spell it properly it will give *****

Here's a couple
http://www.wilcoxusa.net/saber/step-by-step.htm

http://www.padawansguide.com/lightsabers.shtml

these use the spelling s-a-b-e-r incase the software replaces them

[ This Message was edited by: Les on 2002-05-24 09:10 ]
BigJule

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2002 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Les:

Thanks for the details!

As stated, I played Big Jule recently, since I am a big man, with a gruff voice, the director thought I would be perfect. The funny thing is, Big Jule tells Detective Brannigan that his profession is "A Scoutmaster". My day job: I work for the Boy Scouts.

But thanks again for the detail on the unit. On ebay, it would seem that the Heiland is starting to become as pricey as the non synch 3 cell.

I also did a search and I came up with a few of the sites you mentioned. You may (or may not) take heart in knowing one such site emplores sci-fi fans to not destroy Graflex flashguns, and encourages them to use alternative materials when doing their project.

Luckily, my client trusts my ability and judgement, and is willing to accept such an alternative.

Besides, my dad is a serious photography buff, and I would hate to have him stop speaking to me!

Thanks again for your help, but if anyone out there has anymore to add, let me know!
crvogt

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2002 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of years ago, had to make some props for the local Variety Show, (no budget)
Needed flashing tails for lightning bug costumes. Went to a local Photo lab and picked up some "guts" of the disposable cameras with flashes. Removed the circuit boards and flash tubes, found the switch contacts on the board and added a pushbutton switch and on/off switch in a 35mm film can on a 3ft cord. Went to "c" size battries for more flashes,an mimimal battery change. These board might fit inside a 1 1/2" drain downspout tube. Chicken Pie pans might make reasonable refelctors, depending on the viewing distance. I tend to use the 20' rule, if it looks good at 20' it is OK.
Gold mine Electroic has some neat reflectors but they are square and not very deep,but you might be able to cut them round with a band saw.
http://sales.goldmine-elec.com/prodinfo.asp?prodid=4473

Carl@carlvogt.com
http://www.carlvogt.com
huh

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2002 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi BJ (Do you really want to be refered to as BJ)

There are numerous sites out there with pretty decent tech on ***** building, some also carry their own schematics of the 3 cell. If you like, I could furnish you with digi pics of the Icons replica that I have, just let me know. In my opinion, the hardest thing to recreate on the 3 cell would be the embossed bit (not the correct term for the effect I'm sure but I think that if you look a the 3 cell, you'll know what I mean)around the switch and clear lens, if you can get that right then the rest should be 'a walk in the park'.

e-mail : huh@lineone.net

I love the paranoia on this site with regards to all things bright and ********, look at the way you can't say words like ******** and Light ***** cause it makes them all break out in a cold sweat. On your knees ******** haters ********, ********, ******** and Light ***** to you. Ha!Ha! how sad.

[ This Message was edited by: huh on 2002-05-28 19:03 ]
huh

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2002 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-05-28 18:57, huh wrote:
Hi BJ (Do you really want to be refered to as BJ)

There are numerous sites out there with pretty decent tech on ***** building, some also carry their own schematics of the 3 cell. If you like, I could furnish you with digi pics of the Icons replica that I have, just let me know. In my opinion, the hardest thing to recreate on the 3 cell would be the embossed bit (not the correct term for the effect I'm sure but I think that if you look a the 3 cell, you'll know what I mean)around the switch and clear lens, if you can get that right then the rest should be 'a walk in the park'.

e-mail : huh@lineone.net

I love the paranoia on this site with regards to all things bright and ********, look at the way you can't say words like ******** and Light ***** cause it makes them all break out in a cold sweat. On your knees ******** haters ********, ********, ******** and Light ***** to you. Ha!Ha! how sad.

Time you all grew up me thinks, freedom of speech is still part of the free world,isn't it?

[ This Message was edited by: huh on 2002-05-28 19:03 ]
alecj

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2002 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

>Time you all grew up me thinks, freedom of >speech is still part of the free >world,isn't it?

Ever heard of freedom of association? You'd better add that one to your list, Huh. You may perceive you have the right to say anything you want, but we have the right to choose not to LISTEN to it, OK?

Years ago, we had to shut this board down because some punks decided their "freedoms" were more important than ours. Well, the board was fixed, and this IS the way it IS, like it or not.
huh

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2002 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Call me Switzerland. I'm neither for or against. I just think it's really funny, a lot like he who can't be named from Harry Potter.
Les

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2002 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Time you all grew up me thinks, freedom of speech is still part of the free world,isn't it? "

Total absolute complete freedom of speech has NEVER existed in the free world. "The second amendment does not give a person the right to yell "fire" in a crowed theater" said the Supreme Court.

The law against "inciting a riot" also comes to mind.

Read the FAQ and you'll find that your freedom of speech is limited to what the moderator condsiders within the pervue of this forum. Beyond that, your post will be edited or removed.

Yeah you can call us paranoid, but we tried the wide open forum before and a few abused the freedom to the point the forum was shut down. We aren't going to let that happen again.

[ This Message was edited by: Les on 2002-05-29 19:20 ]
BigJule

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2002 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmm....

Seems like I walked in on a big discussion.

I wanted to thank Les once again for his help. After searching, I found some things the folks here may be interested in.

Mainly, an online store that sells homemade replica's of the Graflex 3 cell, and the MPP, NOT actual specimens, mind you, for the purpose of making 'props'.

It may be worth your while to direct misguided young souls there, as the replica's look like a dead ringer for the real thing and are much cheaper than the real thing, and, most imortantly, are NOT the real thing.

If interested, the site is larbel.amer.net

I also found the sites that Les gave me to be MORE than helpful.

Yet another has a schematic of sorts of the outside dimensions of the 3 cell. If any one is interested, i can try to clean it up in paint and passit along to you. Just leave me a post here and let me know.

Thanks again.
Big Jule
Araki

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2002 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Big jule,

I would like to get the 3 Cell schematic that you have, if you donīt mind.

I look for the 3Cell blueprints for a long time, if you have any other tecnical information about this please let me know.

E-mail me if you can send the schematics that you have. bgorn@terra.com.br

toe.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2002 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for those looking for schematics on how to make a graflex like object for use in a lite say burr type prop...

there is a site you can go to... the address is
http://www.hu.u-net.com/graflica/home.htm

it has nifty plans to make a say burr in the ANH/ESB style of luke.... with a little creative design it can be altered to make the Darth say burr from the ROTJ.

if you don't trust my addy use google.. type in graflica.

Cenobyte

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2002 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello all,

I am a prop builder and collector first and foremost.

I am not here to beg for 3-cell flashes (I do own one that is completely functional with NO holes drilled and still converted. (Only need tape to convert these unless you drill 2 holes on bottom of endcap)

As for the replicas.. there are a few replica flash builders out there. Larbel.amer.net is sold out of the graflex 3-cell replicas. I own one (Used that one to drill the holes in) Also the MPP replicas are sold out.

There is a site that used to go under the name "graflex reborn" that might be offering replica 3 cell flashes for the prop collectors to "destroy".

I understand that the members on this board think that us prop collectors are the devil, but some of us find other ways to convert our props without ruining the original piece to do so.

Oh and BTW.. The Graflite was used in SW as a piece in the X-wing and I believe the Millennium Falcon as well as a sword (I see what you can and cannot post here) in the SW holiday special.

Believe it or not, My 3 cell is great except for the fact that the spring inside is trashed. Can anyone possibly sell me the spring for the endcap so I can get some batteries inside? I am serious on need ing a spring. (3-cell "s-a-b-e-r flash spring)

Thanks.

[ This Message was edited by: Cenobyte on 2002-07-09 07:00 ]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Flash Help All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: