Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Brand New to Graflex

View previous topic :: View next topic  
foxfire

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2002 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After retiring, I recently decided to expand my photographic pursuits from the usual 35mm activities I had been involved in. I figured for me, it was either digital or MF, and I decided to try MF. Based on a variety of advice I won't go into here, suffice it to say, targeting a low-cost entry level procedure, I ended up with a Graflex XL and a Graflex Century Graphic. The XL has an 80mm, f/2.8 lens and a 120 roll film back in 6x9.

The Century has the same roll film back but also a ground glass back w/hood. It also has the Kalart Rangefinder on the side and a viewfinder on the top.

My question(s)? I have no paperwork at all as far as instructions, etc. I'm waiting for some reprints of the original owner's manuals, etc., but in the meantime, I'm not even sure how to properly load roll film into these backs and set the the exposure counter, etc.

It appears that the roll film holders/backs are interchangeable as well as the ground glass back between the XL and the Century. Any comments, tips, etc., would be welcome.

Thanks in advance.
Les

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2002 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the best advice is to look around this site and "get lost" in it. I did this about 4 years ago and haven't come out yet. Insturctions to load the roll holder should be here somewhere as well.

alecj

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2002 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And, just in case you do happen to finish THIS helpboard, there's always the OLD helpboard messages to read. Go to:

http://graflex.org/old-helpboard/

Now THAT should keep you busy for a while!
blwallen

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2002 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes the backs on both the XL and the Century are of the Graflok type and film holders can be used interchanagebly. The lenses can be swapped if you get a lensboard for the Century that has a larger mounting hole. Swapping isn't difficult, but you would need a spanner to tighten the rear retaining ring and care not to scratch the front or rear elements when swapping them. The lens tube of the XL is removed by cranking it out to the extreme close focus position, pressing the small button in the upper right corner of the body as it faces you, turning the lens tube so that the red dots on the tube and body meet, then pulling gently. While the XL lens structure looks more complicated, it isn't really except that the lens mount is larger.

Another lens issue is length. The XL was most often used as a 6x7 format and had an 80mm lens, while the Century was used as a 6x9 with a 100mm lens. You can keep this in mind as you consider additional lenses.

You can use either sheet film in the 2.25 x 3.25 size in cut film holders which have film sheathes on both sides or a Grafmatic which holds more sheathes. Roll film is much easier to begin with. Besides the 6 x 9 cm model you have, there are also 6 x 6 and 6 x 7 varieties. You can also get extra inserts for any of these that make film changing quicker. You can't use the inserts interchangeably across models however, since the counter mechanism must match the image mask.

Loading is simple and if you have used a rollfilm camera before, even a Brownie, you shouldn't have much problem. The primary difference is that the Graphic back has a mechanical frame counter. When you are loading the film, advance it with the crank or knob until the two large arrows on the film backing meet the arrow on the inner side of the insert top. Then turn the film counter button on the top of the holder to the '1' position and put the film insert into the film back.

Most Graphic shutters have to be manually cocked, then released at the moment of exposure. It's possible that you have a Century with the entry level Trioptar lense which is self cocking. If your XL and Century do not have optional grips, you will find that the addition of these greatly improves handheld shots both in terms of camera stability and the shutter release action.

If you have more questions, send me a note off list and I will try to answer your questions.
b-wallen@uiuc.edu
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Graflex XL Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: