Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kodak Flash Supermatic service manual

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gtmiller76

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:45 pm    Post subject: Kodak Flash Supermatic service manual Reply with quote

Hello all,

I am relatively new to the world of Graflex, but I am eager to get my mini Speed Graphic working again!

The camera has a Kodak Flash Supermatic shutter with the Ektar 101mm f4.5 lens. The shutter is gummed up and I'm willing and able to take the shutter apart to do the cleaning and lubrication, but I am in need of a service manual. If someone could please email me a copy or point me toward a copy that I can download, I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks!
-Greg
Henry

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, of course you could always buy one

http://www.photobooksonline.com/books/manual04KODCAM.html . Item #80086 on the list.

This site has many Graflex manuals for download, but I don't see any Kodak listing:

http://www.southbristolviews.com/

You might try contacting that site's owner at "rich@southbristolviews.com" to see whether he can help. He does post on this site as "richS".

I've had good luck with my Graphex shutters using the "Ronsonol flush" method. Remove front and rear lens elements and squirt lighter fluid into the works through the lens mount holes, especially around the circumference of the front where the gear train is located. Exercise the shutter through all of its settings, let innards dry thoroughly, and see whether this frees up the gummy action. If so, you may be able to avoid a tear-down.

Last edited by Henry on Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jim C.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll second what Henry said, a flush with lighter fluid may be better than
doing full teardown. Besides, if it's slow, and working, better to do a flush
than doing a teardown and having it not working.
Parts are also hard to come by if you lose something.
William Hallett

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The US military service manual for the Anniversary contains detailed exploded views of a Supermatic plus step by step photos as one is dismantled and some service instructions. This is available for download at http://www.butkus.org/chinon/ - follow the Graflex link and choose "C3 Graflex Camera" (military name for the Anniversary). This may be an earlier version of the Supermatic than yours (without the flash synchronizer, I believe), but should still be helpful.
gtmiller76

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for your replies!

I think I may try the lighter fluid flush and see how that goes. However, I did manage to get the front cover off and there is a lot of gummy grease in there. It may take several flushes! Lol...

Thanks again,
-Greg
Henry

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let us know the results of your efforts---and best of luck!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Lenses Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: