Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

widest lens usable on Crown Graphic

View previous topic :: View next topic  
disemjg

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone used a lens wider than a 90 on a Crown Graphic 45? I was thinking about trying a 65 or 75 Schneider SA, probably on a recessed board, to focus by scale. But will it "see" the bed, even dropped?
Les

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The widest I've shot 4x5 with is 58mm with the bed dropped.
I've heard you an focus a 47mm lens.

You can't make a useable recessed lens board and get the shutter and your fingers in there.
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2003-11-17 15:54, disemjg wrote:
Has anyone used a lens wider than a 90 on a Crown Graphic 45? I was thinking about trying a 65 or 75 Schneider SA, probably on a recessed board, to focus by scale. But will it "see" the bed, even dropped?
By analogy, it shouldn't see the bed.

I use a 38/4.5 Biogon on a Century with the bed dropped and it doesn't see the bed. Another user here ("notmpp") uses a 35 ApoGrandagon on a Century and he says it doesn't see the bed either. I also use a 65/8 Ilex Acugon (?), much the same as a 65/8 SA, on my Century's and my 2x3 Pacemaker Speed (YES!) and it doesn't see either's bed.

I focus my two on the ground glass, don't know what notmpp does.

With a 2x3 Pacemaker (don't hit me, the Century takes 2x3 Pacemaker board) a recessed board isn't possible for a lens in shutter. Even a #00 is too big. Maybe with a 40/18 Protar V in barrel, if one could be found ...

Go for it, but make sure you have the right to return it!

Cheers,

Dan
glennfromwy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A question: the way you refer to your Pacemaker Speed piques my curiosity. Is there something unique or special about this model?
Just curious, as I have one on the closet shelf.

"Wyoming - Where everybody is somebody else's weirdo"
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2003-11-17 19:32, glennfromwy wrote:
A question: the way you refer to your Pacemaker Speed piques my curiosity. Is there something unique or special about this model?
Just curious, as I have one on the closet shelf.

No. Its just a plain ordinary 2x3 Pacemaker Speed. Older 65 mm lenses such as the 65/8 Raptar/Optar and Angulon won't focus to infinity on it because its minimum flange to film distance is too long. I'm very happy to have a 65 that works on the camera. That's all.

Cheers,

Dan
glennfromwy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I just thought there might be something about that model that I missed. I haven't used it yet, as I have so many different Speeds ready to go that there is no way I can use them all. So, it just sits there.

"Wyoming - Where everybody is somebody else's weirdo"
disemjg

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, so I did a quick check and found that I can easily get a 50mm distance from a lensboard to the GG in the body, which tells me that the lens will focus all right. From the earlier comments it also sounds like the dropped bed will not be "seen" by such a wide lens. Makes it all worth trying just for the fun factor of having such a wide point and shoot 45. We'll also have to be creative in coming up with a viewfinder of some sort to eyeball the setup.
Milos Gazdic

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What would be the shortest / widest lens that could mount on Graflex Pacemaker 4x5 considering it's size and minimal focus distance?
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 4x5 Pacemaker Speed Graphic's minimum flange-to-film distance, also called extension, is 66.7 mm. This link http://sdrv.ms/1i4czGa will take you to a large list of links to lens catalogs.

Happy reading!
Milos Gazdic

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for reply Dan!
So basically in theory most lenses with the back focus larger than 66.7mm will be ok on a Pacemaker if understand well?
I need some nice wide angle lens for my camera & was not sure what is the limit for the wideness
William Hallett

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used a 65 mm Super Angulon on a 4 x 5 Anniversary Speed, with no need for a recessed lens board. With the bed dropped, there is no vignetting. However, you need to look out for one thing. On many Pacemakers and Annis the rails in the case are a bit loose from wear, and you may have a hard time getting the front standard to sit square against the pressure from the compressed bellows. With an ultra-wide angle like this, it is even more important than it is with other lenses to make sure that the lens board is parallel to the film plane.
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Milos Gazdic wrote:
Thanks for reply Dan!
So basically in theory most lenses with the back focus larger than 66.7mm will be ok on a Pacemaker if understand well?
I need some nice wide angle lens for my camera & was not sure what is the limit for the wideness
Not quite right. Not back focus, which is the distance from the rear of the lens (vertex of the last element) to the film, but flange-to-film distance, the distance from the back of the shutter or mounting flange (for lenses in barrel) to the film.
Milos Gazdic

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok. true. got it. Thank you Dan!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Lenses Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: