Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kodak Compur help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bjbashore1971

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:37 am    Post subject: Kodak Compur help Reply with quote

Hi,
I have Kodak Compur shutter with a 105mm lens. The shutter is sticking and, though I've read as many posts on shutter help, I can't decipher how to get the shutter off the lens board. I managed to get the front lens assembly off without any problem. Do I need to use some kind of spanner wrench to remove the shutter barrel from the lens board? (And I may not be using the right terminology for some of these things...)

It was working, then not, then intermittently.....I'd just like to try cleaning it and applying some graphite to see if that will help. If not, I can always send it for cleaning....

Any guidance would be most appreciated.
shutterfinger

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The standard mounting of a shuttered lens is a mount ring on the back of the lens board screwed onto the shutter.
The standard mounting of barrel lens (non shuttered lens) is a flange attached to the front of the lens board with the lens screwed into it.
The more common variation is a shuttered lens screwed into a mount flange.
The less common variation is a barrel lens attached with a retaining ring as barrel lens rarely have wide enough lip to prevent it from sliding through the lens board.

Look at the back side of your lens board and the lens. Are there 2 notches in the outer edge of the shutter rear 180° apart or 4 notches 90° apart?
Yes- the shutter is attached with a retainer ring and you need a spanner wrench to loosen it.
Example: http://www.skgrimes.com/products/spanner-wrench

No- 3 or 4 holes in the outer edge- a flange has been used as a retainer ring, remove with a spanner like a mount ring.

External threads only- front flange on lens board. Grip the lens board and shutter firmly and unscrew the shutter by turning it counter clockwise.
Henry

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you need a spanner wrench, but don't have one or don't want to acquire one, you can try what I do: use a long-nose (needle nose) pliers. Simply fit the pliers tips in the slots of the lens retaining ring and carefully apply force CCW. With care you can keep from scratching anything---metal, lens (horror!)---by wrapping the pliers tips with tape. HTH.

Last edited by Henry on Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
bjbashore1971

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the suggestions. I'm looking forward to trying them out this weekend when I have access to a slightly larger pool of tools.
bjbashore1971

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally had time to remove the rear lens - it unscrewed with little trouble. Shutter seemed frozen so used cleaning / oiling as recommended in other posts. Disassembled a bit more - still nothing. Poked at firing mechanism gently - still nothing. Just as I was about to give up and send it off with an apology note for trying to do this myself, it freed up and works fine now. I haven't tested the speeds yet but am hopeful

Thank you for your guidance and help!
Henry

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad your efforts got results. Did you use the "Ronsonol soak" method to free up the mechanism? I hope you didn't really use oil; fine-powdered graphite, if anything, would be more appropriate, as, over time, oil can get sticky and gum up the works again. If you did use oil, I would flush it out again using the Ronsonol.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: