Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"d"

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brian

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2002 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I've been browsing the web and I must admit I have no clue about cameras. I am looking for a flash that will fit a Graflex "d" camera. I don't know what kind of "d" it is, the person I am buying it for said he would "like to have a flash that fits his graflex d camera" I looked at several sites and their are a few differant cameras that are a "d" in the name. Basically what I need to know is: what flash will fit on this camera and where can I find one that will not cost me a fortune?

I checked eBay to see if they had an identical camera but they dont and I don't want to ask dad what model it is since it would ruin the surprise. It can be rusty and dinged up too for all I care since the camera itself is far from good looking.Any help is appreciated.

Brian

ps... can I use a non graflex brand, like a kalart?

[ This Message was edited by: Brian on 2002-04-10 14:27 ]
Les

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2002 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this isn't the answer you want to hear, but a Graflex series D or Super D may need some additional parts besides the flash, and what those parts are depends a lot on the camera itself (some aren't set up for flash). I think it's best to give it to him without the flash and let him find out how to set up the flash. That's half the fun of owning one.

Once the camera is set up I suggest the Graflite model 2773. These are brushed aluminum take three D sized batteries, are much cheaper and easier to use than the earlier ones that cost so much. If your careful you can buy one of these for less than $20 in great shape.

You can use off brand flashes like kalart, heiland, SOL, King SOL, Jacobson, Abbey. But I still say the better flash is the Graflite and will cost the same. I suggest you get a flash that uses 3 D batteries. they are much more reliable than the smaller ones.

[ This Message was edited by: Les on 2002-04-10 14:35 ]
Brian

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2002 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well he has the camera already, and since he said "I want a flash" I just assumed it took one , like I said , I clueless to this one, ok, so If I buy the unit you spoke of do I need some kind of mounting brackets or anything? And what does that run me?

ps.. this email notify of replys is AWESOME!

Brian
Brian

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2002 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UPDATE: Well, I bought a kalart that uses 3 D batteries like you suggested, I looked and found it at an online auction site (yes that one) I was gonna get a graflex but man those things are like 100.00! So I went for the kalart, when I get it, I'll see if it mounts up and looks good. Another update, the camera itself does not work, so even if the flash just looks good on it, I am all set!

Brian
alecj

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2002 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your camera has the bracket to accept the flash, but the battery tube on the flash you bought doesn't have the clamps on it to attach it to the camera, you can find the brackets pretty cheap at Pacific Rim Camera

http://www.pacificrimcamera.com/
Brian

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2002 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, remember I am clueless, so would that be the 15.00 set of mounting rings?
alecj

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2002 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep. Sometimes they are cheaper on e*** but they aren't on there all the time.

Wait until you get the flash to make that decision.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Flash Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: