Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Need some lens advice

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BentleyR

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:14 pm    Post subject: Need some lens advice Reply with quote

I've got a Graflex 4X5 Series D with a f/4.5, 7 1/2" Kodak Anastigmat. I'm looking for a faster lens that would be more suitable for handheld portraits and street photography. Since the camera has a FP shutter barrel lenses are fine. I'm not to scared about cobbling up a way to mount a lens. The main thing is having enough back focal length to clear the mirror. I've got an Aero Ektar (that I bought about 40 years ago for $17!) that doesn't quite allow focusing beyond a few feet. Any suggestions?

Oh, and, of course, I'd like to pay $17 for it as well;)

Allan
Parkeralto

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:33 pm    Post subject: Some Lens Ideas Reply with quote

As you have found; the Aero Ektar won't focus to infinity on the 4x5 RB Graflex. The Aeros that you see mounted on a Graflex SLR use the 3x4 body. The shortest lens I have seen that did manage infinity (just barely) on these cameras was a 180mm f/4.5 barrel Tessar. I acquired a 4x5 D from the 1930s and it was equipped with a 180mm f/3.5 Xenar, the sort of high speed lens you are talking about . That lens, because of it's size would not focus beyond 20 feet. but it does focus nicely for portraits. I had the same problem with a 180mm f/3.5 Heliar.
The Dallmeyer Pentac f/2.9 at 8" (203mm) is the right focal length but it won't really fit in the lens housing without a lot of modifications. So my final suggestion is a 210mm f/3.5 Tessar. I have one of the post war coated Jenna versions and it will mount on a standard lens board (by clipping the mounting flange) and it focuses nicely to infinity and down to about 3 feet; just about right for head shots. They are somewhat rare (I got mine from Latvia) so you might just pick up a 210mm f/4.5, Tessar or Xenar, to see if you like that focal length. Good luck.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Reflex Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: