Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to remove Graphic spring back?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eichenhof

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:01 pm    Post subject: How to remove Graphic spring back? Reply with quote

I recently got a 1946 4x5 Anniversary and much appreciate other cleaning/maintenance topics posted here earlier. I want to get the gg back off for cleaning and bellows inspection. Can I remove the single screw in the center of each spring? Or is it more complicated than that? Many thanks!
45PSS

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To remove the entire focus panel keep pressure on the spring and remove the center screw. Failure to keep pressure on the spring so that it remains in contact with the camera back while removing the screw will result in a stripped screw hole.

To remove the ground glass from the focus panel keep partial closed pressure on the ground glass cover and remove the 4 #0 screws along each side of the side curtain/ ground glass retaining bars.

See: http://www.southbristolviews.com/pics/Graphic/manual-pdf/AnniversaryService1.pdf
eichenhof

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks 45PSS for the advice about avoiding the old pellet-in-the-eye hazard.
The camera and case smell musty, and I found numerous small spots of mold on the inside of the bellows -- any easy cure for that? I put the camera with back removed outside to take some south Texas sun in the inside of the bellows. I'll put a dessicant inside the case to absorb any remaining moisture.
Looking through the lens(Wolly Raptar) from the back I see several small scratches, but I hope they won't do any harm.
Really looking forward to using this antique, much like the one my dad used for portrait and wedding photos when I was too young to learn much about it.
Jim C.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The moldy musty smell is time consuming to get rid of, my Anni Graphic had similar issues,
I took the board off, and back off ( has a Graflok back ) extended the bellows at max extension
wiped the entire camera down including the outer / interior bellows and FP curtain with
Clorox sanitary wipes, they're pretty wet when out of the container so I waited a few
minutes and blotted off as much of the liquid as possible and let it dry, the FP curtain I
did in sections the same way. Left it to air out that way cycling the FP curtain every day.
I think I also did the sanitary wipes twice on the FP curtain, about a week apart.
After about a month it was very tolerable. Now after 3 months it barely smells musty.

I have read about putting the entire camera on a platform in a sealed box of kitty litter
and letting the litter do it's job absorbing the odors, but I never tried it.
45PSS

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For musty smell, mold, mildew , I fully extend the bellows and saturate the inside with Lysol Disinfectant Spray, seal with the back and solid lens board or a plastic bag, allow to sit for 2 to 3 days then repeat 1 or 2 more times.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: