Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bouncing shutter closing on the A tension

View previous topic :: View next topic  
EASmithV

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:36 am    Post subject: Bouncing shutter closing on the A tension Reply with quote

Hello all,

it seems that my Super D's shutter bounces up a little bit on closing of the A tension setting...

the other speeds are fine, but on A both H and L, the shutter bounces up a bit on closing, resulting in an overexposed strip on the top of the image. The problem is worse on the H setting, however.

What can I do to avoid this? I need these speeds available.

I have images and more details posted here:
http://www.apug.org/forums/forum44/115315-strange-light-leaks-help.html

Thanks!
-Eric
45PSS

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Have you worked on this camera before?
2. Does the shutter operate according to Graflex corp. requirements?
Graflex corp. FPS shutter operational requirements are
A. With the curtain at O and the tension at its lowest setting tripping the shutter results in the shutter closing and locking.
B. With the tension on its highest setting the curtain should wind to the smallest aperture.

When the shutter locks on closing the wind key can only be turned in the direction of the wind arrow only. The curtain should close from O with the camera in portrait orientation with the back in landscape orientation. The Anniversary Speed says with the camera upside down.

3. With the back removed from the camera are the lower stays of the aperture openings 1/4 inch above the top edge of the film opening and the top aperture stays 1/4 inch below the bottom edge of the film opening once the shutter has been tripped for that aperture? Operate on low tension only to minimize possibility of shutter curtain damage. Do not allow anything to touch the curtain when tripping the shutter.
EASmithV

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never worked on this camera before and am slightly intimidated to.

With the curtain at O and on the lowest tension, the curtain closes and locks, with the metal lip of the curtain resting right in the middle of the lower metal roller. The camera has no problem winding to it's highest tension setting. All other speeds appear to be fine, which is unfortunate because I really need 1/60th and 1/30th (it does it to on the low tension, but not quite as dramatically).

There isn't actually a directional winding arrow on this camera, however, the camera has no problem closing the shutter from O on the lowest setting even if fired upside down.

I haven't taken the back off yet, as I'm not sure which of the 20 million screw this thing has actually are needed to remove the back (all of them? Definately NOT as simple as a Graflok).

I'll check the curtains and make sure that they are aligned properly, but the curtain bounces a pretty significant amount, and even if I can figure out how to drop it one gear tooth without screwing something up, I'm worried that it may still bounce up and affect the image, because it bounces so significantly.

I can't figure out how to get pictures to work on this forum, but you can see the example images I posted over on APUG...

Thanks! I really really want this camera to become fully functional soon, it's an otherwise incredible camera...
EASmithV

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if it helps, there is actually a lot of play after it is wound to the highest setting it almost feels like you can wind it to 1/2000 there is so much extra shutter. Is it possible that it's just misaligned?
45PSS

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The curtain is out of sync with the wind gearing.

The back has 12 screws around the perimeter, some are hidden by the revolving back plate.

To fix this problem the back as well as the wind plate will have to be removed, the curtain repositioned, and reassembled provided the top curtain roller gear has not worn down causing the out of sync condition.

The curtain normally bounces about 1/32-3/64 inch and with the aperture edge at the lower film opening roller when closed is the reason for the full frame light leak.

Send the camera to me, use the PM function for details, or take it to a service person for repair.

This site does not host pictures but they can be linked to.
EASmithV

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

perhaps I just need to drop my top roller a gear? Is it normal to see the D from the highest tension displayed in the viewing window when the camera shutter is completely released?

I don't mind giving home repair a try, the worst case scenerio is that I can't figure out how to put it back together and I need to send it out for repair anyway
45PSS

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It isn't that easy:
1. drive taper pin from cocking lever H. camera must be upside down with a support block under the shaft to prevent the mirror shaft from bending. The pin can be fused and very difficult to remove.
2. the tension on the curtain should be removed by removing the cap over the lower roller end, inserting a screwdriver in the slot, lifting the tension plate off, then count the number of turns of the screwdriver to no tension.
2a. with tension on the lower roller, tension set to low, remove the camera back, hold curtain from moving, remove wind plate, allow curtain to turn 1 gear tooth on top roller, reassemble wind plate to top roller and body, check position of curtain at each setting.

No it is not normal to see the aperture letter once the shutter has been tripped for that setting. The wind plate has several gears that sync at one position only to put the aperture letters in the window when the shutter is wound to that aperture with the curtain at the correct position. The curtain can be set correct with the window display off.

The tension plate has a gear with a stop and must be aligned correctly for the curtain to wind to the smallest aperture.

I charge more when I have to correct someone elses mistakes.

If the top roller gear has stripped it may be difficult to repair. Another recent (year or two) thread had a wind gear slip on the wind shaft.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Reflex Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: