Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

HELP! New to Graphics--lots of questions!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mattk

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2002 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just picked up a nice Anniversary Speed Graphic with a very clean 127 f4.7 Ektar in an estate sale, and I also just picked up a really rough Pacemaker Crown Graphic missing some parts for $25.00. I want to keep the Speed Graphic intact. I do 4 X 5 landscape photography and want to make a light, wide angle field camera out of the Crown Graphic body. I have several questions:

I have read on this site that the Crown Graphic allows the use of wider angle lenses as the lens can get closer to the ground glass as there is no focal plane shutter. I can fit a 90mm angulon on the Speed Graphic, and I imagine it will also work on the Crown Graphic. I have also read here that the Crown Graphic can accommodate lenses "shorter than about 65mm." Is that REALLY true? I use a 3" Goerz Rectagon on my Calumet NX--about a 76.5mm lens. It is so wide I have to put the front standard right at the front of the rail if I don't want the tip of the rail in the bottom of the picture. I am also surprised that a 65mm or shorter lens would work on a Crown Graphic, as the tilt bed does not tilt down as far as the bed on my Speed Graphic! Does anyone have any experience or comments re this matter?

Also, the pre-Anniversary Speed Graphic page mentions that a front standard of U-shaped stock affording full movements can be easily made of U-shaped stock. What is that all about?

Finally, does anyone know of a source of cheap used parts for the Pacemaker Crown Graphic? I need a Graphic Back, all of the guide plates and mounting screws for the track mechanism, the track itself, and the tiny screw that goes inside the track lock lever pin.

Thanks for your time and I look forward to hearing from you!

MattK
Les

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2002 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-03-30 03:13, mattk wrote:
I just picked up a nice Anniversary Speed Graphic with a very clean 127 f4.7 Ektar in an estate sale, and I also just picked up a really rough Pacemaker Crown Graphic missing some parts for $25.00. I want to keep the Speed Graphic intact. I do 4 X 5 landscape photography and want to make a light, wide angle field camera out of the Crown Graphic body. I have several questions:

I have read on this site that the Crown Graphic allows the use of wider angle lenses as the lens can get closer to the ground glass as there is no focal plane shutter. I can fit a 90mm angulon on the Speed Graphic, and I imagine it will also work on the Crown Graphic. I have also read here that the Crown Graphic can accommodate lenses "shorter than about 65mm." Is that REALLY true? I use a 3" Goerz Rectagon on my Calumet NX--about a 76.5mm lens. It is so wide I have to put the front standard right at the front of the rail if I don't want the tip of the rail in the bottom of the picture. I am also surprised that a 65mm or shorter lens would work on a Crown Graphic, as the tilt bed does not tilt down as far as the bed on my Speed Graphic! Does anyone have any experience or comments re this matter?

I've used a 65mm super angulon on a Crown many times. the 58mm grandagon will work as well. Now the lens focuses inside the body so don't expect much in terms of movement. some people remove the sport finder to gain head room.

Quote:

Finally, does anyone know of a source of cheap used parts for the Pacemaker Crown Graphic? I need a Graphic Back, all of the guide plates and mounting screws for the track mechanism, the track itself, and the tiny screw that goes inside the track lock lever pin.

There are lots of places to find parts, even more places to find used parts. But CHEAP used parts, is another matter. I'd watch ebay, check the links on the home page and see what they have around. Lately I've seen body rails and track on ebay. My guess is by the time you resurect this parts camera you could have bought a decent complete one.

Les

Quote:

Thanks for your time and I look forward to hearing from you!

MattK
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: