Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Graflex Flash Connections Questions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tim Povlick

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:11 pm    Post subject: Graflex Flash Connections Questions Reply with quote

I've acquired a 2-cell Graflex Flash (aka. light saber) and had a couple questions. (I've looked in the usual spots for a manual but none found. A check of this site didn't have the answers either.)

Dating: Bottom is stamped Graflex and has the patent number so from other posts this is sometime in mid-1940's?

Connections:
There are three round holes with bi-pin. One of these has a red push botton switch which fires the flash. I assume one of the bi-pins is for shutter, but which of the two remaining?

A "household" connection is in front and has 3.0 V-DC so I assume this is for remote power out of in?

Obtaining the round bi-pin connector seems a bit of a challenge. Paramount cords do not list this as an option, from what I can surmise. There is a bi-pin in rectangle however. Is this the correct one?

A slide switch lights a bulb which throws a nice tight beam out. Is this for aiming in the dark. People that have this in their face while taking flash snapshot find it most annoying.

The connection to camera looks like it needs a rail about 1/2" wide to attach to. Attachment to a Crown or Super seems to be missing something.

I can easily imagine developing a small black anodized aluminum bracket that fits neatly between the two existing flash brackets on a Super. This would be attached with button head bolts through holes drilled in the side of the camera. I however, hate the though of modifying one of these beauties even if the results look "factory". Opinions?

Stupid question but... I'd like to verify a D-cell sized BC flash and a dummy D cell can be used this in place of two alkaline batteries, foregoing the aforementioned aiming light, correct?

I am curious why the BC units for these flash bulbs are desired? So far I haven't had a bulb misfire. It seems modern alkaline batteries are very good match for the flash bulbs.

Since the B-C units are no longer available why not replace two or three D cells with a rechargeable Lithium battery that is around 4 volts, yielding 8 to 12 V at the bulb?

Thanks,

Tim
45PSS

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.paramountcords.com/graflex.asp
scroll to bottom of the page - Graflex flash plug - order by phone.

Quote:
The connection to camera looks like it needs a rail about 1/2" wide to attach to. Attachment to a Crown or Super seems to be missing something.

There is a 5/8 x 3 3/4 x 1/16 piece that attaches to the Kalart Rangefinder that the Graflex slides onto. They show up on ebay occasionally.

The BC stands for Battery Capacitor.
Flash bulbs and solenoids are current dependent devices. BC devices provide high current.

The Graflite manual states that 7 amps minimum are required to trip a solenoid.
Tim Povlick

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link on the connector and the ti about the mounting piece. I will order a flash cord.

Best Regards,

Tim
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Flash Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: