Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Another LensBaby ?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
peter k

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:58 pm    Post subject: Another LensBaby ? Reply with quote

Ok.. I'm back.. (nicknamed myself LensBaby since I have so much to learn) please help educate.
Lens: Non coated Tessar 3.5/10.5 cm in Compur Rapid

A coated has an advantage as it has less reflections within it, less ghosting, better contrast, as there is less light bouncing around inside the lens.
The more elements within the lens, the more chance of reflection. On a simple lens, it is not really an issue. Lenses really did not come coated before the 1940's. So being non coated, is not really an issue using it with a, '46' anniversary 3x4 speed, although it would be nice.

Question A: This Tessar, in discussion, was made by Zeiss, and most likely composed of 4 elements, in 3 groups. If so, could this lens be considered a simple lens?
Question B: 3.5/10.5 cm? (I'm use to the nomenclature, as in my current lens, f/4.7 135mm.)
Question C: What is: "in Compur Rapid"
Question D: Will this work with a 3x4 as is, or only with a roll film adapter, shooting as 2.25x2.25, 6x6cm?
45PSS

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reference: http://www.cameraeccentric.com/html/info/zeiss_3.html

Yours is probably newer than this catalog but little or no difference.
C: compur rapid-shutter type.
A: referenced manual page 21, light enters on the left, front group-2 air spaced elements; rear group- 2 cemented elements.
B: 10.5cm=105mm=4 1/8 inch.
D: listed as covering 2 1/2 x 3 1/2 with an image circle of 4 3/4 inch. Expect soft corners to vignetting on larger formats.
1banjo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

uncoated work great on B&W and some work great on color but not all of
them do good on color .

coated are color corrected!!!

with an image circle of 4 3/4 inch or 120mm is about what you need for a
3 1/4 x 4 1/4 ! my 3 1/4 x 4 1/4 negtive carryer is 120mm a camera is just some biger then that .
SO you could use it JUST NO MOVEMENTS!!

most if the old Compur Rapid are good shutters Just NO flash they added flash
and changed the name Compur Rapid to Synchro-Compur I thank !?!
peter k

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies... still got some questions..
45pps reply:
Ok got A right, but is it considered a simple lens? A telephoto of course would be more complex, but where is the 'line' drawn. Or is there one?
Quote:
B: 10.5cm=105mm=4 1/8 inch.

Ok, but the 3.5/part... as in f/3.5?
I looked in the catalog Zeiss reference link you sent, and for the Tessar f 3.5 they list two. One for hand camera's and another cinematography. Neither on the pages referenced, show it covering a 2 1/2 x 3 1/2 with an image circle of 4 3/4 inch as you have stated.
So whats the link to the the 3.5/ part that is giving you this info?

1Banjo reply:
Ah ha.. so since I have gotten the roll film adapter to shoot 120 color, it would be best to get a coated lens.
45PSS

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In large format photography a lens is normal unless marked otherwise, therefore if a lens is a Telephoto design then Tele or Telephoto will be in the name. I think large format lens are considered "simple" designs but I never considered it.

On page 23 of the referenced Zeiss catalog- Tessar f3.5- fifth line under that heading- 10.5cm|4 1/8 .

A cinemaphoto lens will be much smaller in diameter and should say cine on the lens label.

Focal length is usually stated in inches, centimeters, or millimeters with in, cm or mm following the number while maximum aperture may be stated with or without the f. 3.5/10.5cm is read as f3.5, 10.5 centimeters.
peter k

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dang.. looked right at it, and the mind was still twisted, in understanding what was so obvious, but could not see.
Feel like a kid in kindergarten, but its fascinating. Taking light and molding it to specific tolerances and format, for a specific physical environment.

I'm loving large format.
With the Classic 35mm's, took so much for granted! The smaller, narrower contained 'prison' of lenses, that where aligned, as if in a row, standing at attention! Awaiting your choice and direction, that fit your camera, not another. Exposure determined by the seeing eye, through the lens metering system, aligning light to more or less, by the turn of the hand, until a pointer was aligned to a chosen proper selection. Film format, in rolls only, 24 or 36 exposures. Shoot it all before you could see what had been taken. Take it to a store that mass developed it to a common need. A very order world.

Large format, shoot a shot of B&W, grab, another with a different ASA, or even color, for the same scene, push or pull this one, or shoot it normal, with the same camera, not needing another. Develop in a different developer, for a different result. One at a time, or as a group. Your choice! And then the lenses. Oh my. Like looking out at a crowd, in New York city. All the same and very different. Some big, some small! Some with, some without! All almost can physically fit on to what ever camera you have? But how much, and what type of light do they have, to fit the limited, physical space, of lens to film distance, of your particular bellows size to reaching the contained, four sided, flat square or rectangular captured image area awaiting?
You have to understand and look at their individual characteristics and gauge them accordingly to the need that you want to use it for.
Ha what a gas... thank you all for helping me in my discovery.

Thanks 45pps for the clarification. Will do some more digging and reading on the internet on lenses, and I'm sure I,ll be back for more clarification.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Lenses Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: