Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Serial Number, Please

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sobahguy

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 11:13 pm    Post subject: Serial Number, Please Reply with quote

Hello....Could the current day masters of THE BOOK date a Top RF Pacemaker Speed Graphic for me? Serial number is 939511. A most excellent camera that has come to me in nearly mint condition. Thanks in advance for your info, good people!!!
45PSS

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last quarter 1959.
sobahguy

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I mentioned above, this is the first top-rangefinder Speed that I've had and I'm amazed at it's excellent state for a 53-year-old camera!!! All functions work, it's in nearly new-in-box condition. It has Rangelite battery door in place with a factory-supplied wood block inside the compartment. I threw in 2 AA batteries and, after getting the polarity correct, the Rangelite lit right up strong and bright. Both shutters sound and seem correct at all speeds. Rangefinder has correct cam installed and it works well, matching the ground glass.

My one concern would be the stories I've read on this site of the rangefinder tube balls and spacers and springs flying out and then many hours spent on hands and knees trying to round up all the little BB's off the floor. Since mine are all intact, all balls present and accounted for in the tube where they belong......what must I do to keep them there? What causes the tube to come un-done without warning? How do I avoid the whole balls-and-spacers-all-over-the-floor scenario? How do I keep it from happening in the first place?

Looking forward to hearing any replies from those to whom this event has happened? Thanks in advance!!
sobahguy

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI...thought I would just bring this thread back up just to ask if anyone knew what causes these explosions of balls and spacers out of the Top-mounted Graphic rangefinder assembly...and....how best to avoid it from happening. Any replies would be appreciated. Have a terrific weekend!!!
C. Henry

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sobahguy;

I seem to recall that there were posts on the subject of losing the balls & spacers of a top rangefinder a while back. Suggest that you try to find them with the "Search" function on this site.

C. Henry
sobahguy

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks C.Henry!!! I appreciate the suggestion.

Actually, I had started to wade into several past posts on the topic but I have to admit I began to get a bit bleary-eyed as it was a tad past my bed time one evening.

Anyway, in my hunt I didn't really decipher any causes for the balls & spacers getting loose and flying all over the place. The previous posts all pretty much were aimed at what needed to be done to fix the problem once it has happened, not how to avoid the problem before it happens in the first place. Maybe I'm just worrying kinda unnecessarily, just afraid of junking the RF on an otherwise immaculate camera, with Murphy's Law firmly implanted in my brain...

I'll just run with it, load some film and put the camera thru some not-so-rough paces, being careful not to do anything out of the ordinary while dropping the bed or like extending the focus rails too far out.

Thanks again,
George
C. Henry

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sobahguy;

I have no experience with top rangefinders so all I know about them comes from reading posts on this site!
IIRC the balls & spacers only get loose during attempts to disassemble the linkage between the focus yoke and the rangefinder body.
Somebody else (with top rangefinder servicing experience) please either confirm or refute that.

C. Henry
45PSS

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at pdf page 7,
http://www.southbristolviews.com/pics/Graphic/manual-pdf/TRFService.pdf
the cap that holds the plunger in the end of the tube at the bed end comes off for some reason. One could, as the manual suggest, lay the camera on its back and with the cam removed remove the plunger cap, coat the end of the tube with a good quality glue, then reattach the cap.

I think I read that the cap is plastic, and if so, may get soft when out shooting in sunlight or under hot lights.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: