Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Batteries Necessary?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kendall

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2002 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm considering buying a used Graphics 4x5 camera. I purchased the Graphic Graflex Photography book (11th edition) to learn more about the different models. In the book it mentions the body release for the Super Graphic is electric. Does this mean that batteries are necessary to operate a Super Graphic?
Les

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2002 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well sort of. On the pacemaker models the body release is a cable and it didn't work well. a lot of photographers like the solenoid still found on the front, not to sync the flash but to trip the shutter. In this case the batteries were part of the graflite flash case.

When they came out with the super Graphic, they incorporated this idea into the camera. In order for it to work you not only need special batteries, but the right lensboard with the copper contacts and the solenoid built in.

However it you want to stick a common repro lensboard with a common shutter in the Super and fire it with your finger or a cable release then no batteries are needed.
jpmose

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2002 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with everything Les says. Now with that information in mind, if you like the idea of an electronic release, the batteries are still available. I would purchase a Super/Super Speed Graphic that comes equipped with the electronic lens boards. I would also make sure that the camera has been tested for all functions. There is wiring that runs through the bellows which often times fails with age. I had to replace my bellows 22 years ago for this reason. I do like the shutter release though, the slightest touch and the solenoid does the rest. It should be noted that the electronic bellows are still available and Fred Lustig is currently working on reproductions of the electronic lens boards. Hence, you will be in good shape if you want the camera to function as it was originally designed to do.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: