Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tips for working hand-held (Crown)
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
45PSS

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A http://www.southbristolviews.com/
click on the graflex manuals link for a lot of good stuff such as
B http://www.southbristolviews.com/pics/Graphic/manual-pdf/GrafliteManual.pdf

Should take care of your #1.

Your #2: No. Solenoid manual, General Precision December 1964 shows no difference in operation for the #0, #2, or #3 solenoid. All should be connected to a 3 cell battery case. It does show the #3 as discontinued.
A solenoid is a current dependent device. The supply has to be capable of supplying adequate current to energize the solenoid. 110V or 220V household power will energize the solenoid but may produce an extremely high current which would burn the solenoid out. Keeping the solenoid energized for a long period of time may damage it also.

The solenoid manual states not to use a BC cartridge to operate the solenoid.

Your #3: Putting a bulb in the Graflite without a reflector in place and firing the bulb is called "bare bulb" flash. The guide number for the bulb in use will be lower than if it were used with a reflector.

The only risk is that enough moisture gets in there it will cause excessive drain on the batteries causing them to run down quicker than normal and will result in corrosion in the Graflite. I would make a cap for the Graflite that seals the top.

If I were to go shooting in the rain or other wet environment I would make a rain coat or waterproof housing for the camera as water will cause corrosion and damage film if it gets wet in a box or holder.
MonkeyBrain

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, thanks. Always great to get your advice.

I'd had a good look though the manual already, and while it helped, it didnt conclusively answer my questions (or, perhaps more likely, it maybe did answer them but I wasnt capable of deciphering the answers it gave me). And while it contains fairly easy to understand instructions for a number of possible flash set ups, none of them are precisely what I'm trying to do (as I'm actually trying NOT to use the flash element of the Graflite at all, which I guess isnt a scenario which had occurred to the manufacturers as very likely).

Anyway, I assume that the answer to my question no.1 is: "yes, connecting the Graflite to the solenoid via a HH to male-bipost cord is the only way to make the red button on the Graflite trigger the camera shutter".

Your info re. question #2 (solenoid compatibility) is very helpful. Will try to track down the necessary cord...

I think you misunderstood question no.3 slightly though, cos, as I said, I will NOT be using the Graflite as a flash gun at all, in any way, bare bulb or otherwise. What I meant was that I will be using just the battery-case/hand-grip, with nothing on top at all: no dish, and no bulb (if I need flash then I'll be using modern electronic studio flash). So my concern was about water getting in to the open socket (or whatever you call it...the hole on top where the bulb and dish should go). Does that make sense?

Sorry, my lack of technical knowledge doesnt help in communicating my questions clearly (though at least I've finally worked out what the solenoid is...which had previously eluded me for several months).

Anyway, yeh, good idea, I can probably make/adapt some kind of cap for the top of the Graflite.

Thanks thats all a big help and quite reassuring.

Now I just hope the solenoid works...
45PSS

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a socket marked Solenoid. You connect the cord from the solenoid to that socket and the solenoid should energize when the red button is pushed.

Now, being you not technically inclined, I won't tell you that you can tinn the bare ends of a HH cord that has been twisted and trimmed to fit into the solenoid sockets on the solenoid.

I did understand the # 3 question, I just supplied too much information.
No harm will occur if you push the red button with batteries installed and no bulb.
Again, I would cover the top as moisture will cause corrosion and destroy the switch and contacts first then the case. Finding parts that fit properly would be hard to do.

The solenoid is made up of several parts: the shutter trip link is connected to the armature (aka plunger) via the link ball. This assembly is held in the solenoid body via the cap. The cap is what is turned to fine tune the solenoid adjustment. There is a spring under the armature that pushes the armature up when current is not applied to the solenoid. Corrosion sets in on the armature and the inside of the case where it and the spring go. Remove the cap, armature with shutter trip lever attached, and spring. Use very fine sand paper, emery cloth, or a scotch brite pad to remove any corrosion from the armature, spring, and inside of the solenoid then reassemble. The armature should slide freely in the case when pressed down and released. If the coil is bad get another solenoid.
MonkeyBrain

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, probably better not to tell me that about tinning the ends of the HH cord. Would just end up making a mess and spending more money than if I just bought a ready made cord.

Someone else more technically capable doing a forum search might well find the info useful though...

Btw do you know what this does?: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Graflex-Vintage-Bipost-Flash-Cord-connector-Nice-/260974647619?pt=Camera_Flash_Accessories&hash=item3cc34d1943

It says it's bi-post. But I see three "posts" rather than two.

Thing is, I have one of these cords already, and couldn't work out what to do with it. I tried to fit it onto the solenoid, but the prongs seem too big, and anyway there's the extra 3rd prong that gets in the way.

If it is meant to connect graflite to solenoid will someone please explain to me how...before I go and waste money on another cord unnecessarily.

I also have another cord with this "tri-post" tip on the end too. Its a Y cord that goes from two HH tips which connect to the Graflite - one labeled "shutter" the other "remote" - and while it's clear to me where I should plug these in on the Graflite I've no idea what the other end is supposed to attach to.

There are no cables with this kind of tip in the Graflite manual (first place I looked).

thanks
45PSS

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It says it's bi-post. But I see three "posts" rather than two.

Uninformed poster that has mis identified the item.
Quote:
Thing is, I have one of these cords already, and couldn't work out what to do with it. I tried to fit it onto the solenoid, but the prongs seem too big, and anyway there's the extra 3rd prong that gets in the way.

IF the HH plug makes contact with the two outer plugs it is for flash; if the HH plug makes contact with the center and the outer pin closest to it then it is for using the Graflite to trip the solenoid on a Super/ Super Speed Graphic.
Quote:
I also have another cord with this "tri-post" tip on the end too. Its a Y cord that goes from two HH tips which connect to the Graflite - one labeled "shutter" the other "remote"

Full sync cord for a Super or Super Speed Graphic.

Your ebay linked cord is over priced even at the reduced price. This seller always tries to get funds to make it to the neighboring galaxy on every thing they list.

A standard BiPost- HH flash sync cord:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/GRAFLEX-LENS-SHUTTER-FLASH-CORD-TO-STANDARD-/200727019561?pt=Camera_Flash_Accessories&hash=item2ebc434029

http://www.paramountcords.com/graflex.asp
Scroll down and look at tip #40.
A Paramount custom cord with tip #40 on the left, HH on the right, and a 12 inch straight cord $30.
Go to an electronics shop and ask them if they can make one for you.
MonkeyBrain

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, I guess that answers my questions and a whole lot of others too. thanks a lot.

well, I dont have a super, and dont plan on ever getting one either, so if anyone is looking for a Graflite-Super cord and wants to pay the shipping then they're welcome to it.
45PSS

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

list 'em on ebay. The Y cord if good should go for $25-$35 + shipping.
MonkeyBrain

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i probably should, but seems too much like hard work.

got a stack of things I should put on the bay though, so maybe one day I'll get round to listing them all together.

In the meantime, I'm happy for the cords to go to a good home if anyone needs 'em.

or better still...how about an exchange for the graflite-solenoid cord?

no one?

EDIT - All resolved: the Y cord has gone to fatboy22 and I tracked a solenoid cord down on ebay.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: