Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Difference in these two lenses? & Flash?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
peter k

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:03 am    Post subject: Difference in these two lenses? & Flash? Reply with quote

Advantages, disadvantages... beside flash?

On the speed now...
135mm Graflex Optar f- 4.7 (with flash stubs).

Waiting in the wings...
Dial-Set Compur Protarlinse Vll f- 35cm (No flash stubs)

~~~~~~~~

Have the old original flash gun with extenders.
Also an adapter that allowed the smaller, 'more modern' smaller flash blub and base. I doubt if even these blubs are available anymore, so if you wanted to use flash, how would you do it?

Note... since it's an 3x4, I'm only shooting B&W, with the 'focus' right now, on portraits.
graphicdave

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If by smaller bulbs you mean the p-25's try this link:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=25+flash+bulbs&_sacat=0&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_odkw=25+%22flash+bulbs%22&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313

or this one for #5's:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=%235+flashbulbs&_sacat=0&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_odkw=%235+flashbulbs&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313

or this one for several different types:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=+%22flash+bulbs%22&_sacat=0&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_odkw=%22%235%22+flash+bulbs&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313

There are a few commercial sites that sell them on the net but their prices are a bit higher than ebay (but not always!)
45PSS

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://graflex.org/flash/technical.html for bulb descriptions.

Quote:
(with flash stubs).

They are called BiPost.
Shutters with no flash sync connector(s) are called non sync shutter.

Search engine "flash bulbs" from your browser home page.
peter k

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok... so blubs are alive and well, but not for peanut eaters ...

Soooo looking up in old posts, it seems that a 'modern' flash can be used.

I have two... a Vivitar 2850 and a Vivitar 285, but they both have hot shoes to connect to the Classic 35mm Nikons.
How can, or is it possible to use such flashes with the Speed?

I take it the B or T, that is referred to in these posts stands for Blub & Time, or is there a separate use of T & B for flash on different synced shutters?

My Graphex lens has the BiPost for a flash, but it is not labeled 'X'.
All it has is a 'switch' counter clockwise from the flash posts, that is labeled 'OFF, 0, 5, 20'
In the instruction manual for Anniversary Speeds.. p. 6
Quote:
"The control lever adjusts the delay of the operation of the shutter with the ignition lag of the lamp being used." ... "When using high speed gaseous discharge tube, set the lever at "0" or "x" setting, ..."

I take it then that this would be the setting I perhaps could use for a modern flash if there was a way to configure the hot shoe connector, so as it could be attached via the cable to the speed.

I also have the original two prong flash cable for this lens.
1banjo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey peter k

you can use your Vivitar 2850 and a Vivitar 285 maybe two ways
#1 Synchro Sync Hot Shoe Flash Adapter w Tripod Socket like #190616471952
on ebad BUT you have to make up a old post to pc cord!!

#2 on your Vivitar 285 has a jack on it for a cord But you will need make up a old post

#3 "" is labeled 'OFF, 0, 5, 20' "" 0 delay is X

so go Looks at Paramount Cords they mite make the cord that you will need!?
peter k

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paramount Cords, special order, wants a little less than $50 with shipping for a 12" straight cord.

The e-bay hot shoe, for less than $10 w shipping...
when you say:
Quote:
BUT you have to make up a old post to pc cord!!

you mean the junction to the function from the BiPost of the camera, to the hot shoe adapter?

Since I have the original cord, BiPost connector, to the original flash, that is two wire, there should be no contest!
I can easily get the correct end at Radio Shack and solder it on. Or even, better yet, to keep it original, in case I ever want to fire the real oldie but goodie flash, make a modern adapter cord, with a female 120v end, wire, and then put the modern hot shoe connector on that.

What a gas... go down to tourist section of town and shoot the speed, with flash blubs... my goodness, wouldn't that get attention!

I'm looking at the 285,
Quote:
#2 on your Vivitar 285 has a jack on it for a cord But you will need make up a old post

hmmm... the only thing I see is the AC power cord input on the side, or are you talking about where you pull off the 'VARI POWER' thingy so you can connect the cord and hand hold the flash away from the camera?
Other wise I see no jack!
1banjo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the Vivitar 285 has a jack down on the hotshoe that a cord go in to

ebad #

#150722389033 FLASH CORD WILL FIT VIVITAR 283/285 /
45PSS

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
All it has is a 'switch' counter clockwise from the flash posts, that is labeled 'OFF, 0, 5, 20'

Off-no flash sync; contacts disabled.
0-electronic flash; 0 milliseconds delay.
5- type F flash bulbs; 5 millisecond delay.
20-standard type flash bulbs; 20 millisecond delay.
The delay fires the flash before the shutter reaches wide open so that the flash bulb has reached 2/3 its peak by the time the shutter has fully opened so that the film receives the most of the light output of the bulb.

PC to bipost connector cords are a common item and should not have to be special made. Check a high end camera store near you. Hot shoe adapters were common for a while also. They may still be available at the camera store also.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/164971-REG/Paramount_PMBPPF_Female_PC_to_Bipost.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/Flash-Shoe-Mounts/ci/652/N/4288586349
peter k

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh boy... hmmm
Well worked out a beautiful concept of how to attach the 285 Flash, but first wanted to test the flash with the speed, by taking a picture.

Set up subject, wife, about 4' away, set up the 285 flash for that distance, which wanted F11, and set shutter speed to 125. Tested the flash brightness, and the 285 gave me the OK green light.
Set the Speed Flash Sync to '0'. Made shot, flash went off, all seemed to be well, except when developed, ... Nothing!!! Just a clear negative, not even the dots showing what film holder it was.

Any ideas?

Yes I had the dark slide out.
Nuts... if you don't have an idea's, maybe being a newbie, I messed up and pulled the wrong slide... boy wouldn't that be dumb. Concentrating so much on the temp hook up to the flash, I may have inadvertently, messed up.

Well give me some feedback before I take another test... thanks.
Henry

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did the shutter open? Test it off camera: open diaphragm fully, cock and release shutter at various speeds while peering through the lens at a light source.
peter k

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, checked the shutter, it's fine.
Henry

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mmm....lens cap?
peter k

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh.. that would have been dumber than the other...
but no, I had focused using the ground glass, and yes I had put in the film holder.. before pulling the dark slide. As I had turned it around to show the 'Black', noting that it had been exposed.

B U T ! ... ha.. was it the correct dark slide?
peter k

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well... I thought about it, set up the temp hook up again, and faced the flash right at the lens, and fired it three times.. light at the end of the tunnel, or in this case through the ground glass.

Yes I must have pulled the wrong slide... ha what a gas.
Now I can go on with setting up the hook up permanently.

Sigh... larning..
Henry

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't despair. I recall seeing a TV special on the great O. Winston Link, known widely for his outstanding railroad photography (with a Graphic View II, BTW) on the Norfolk & Western in Virginia during the waning days of steam (late '50s). After making one of his elaborate set-ups with lots of flash bulbs, etc., he waited expectantly for the locomotive to hit just the right spot, fired the camera w/flash, etc.,etc., then realized that he hadn't pulled the dark slide. His expression was priceless. All he said was, "Damn. Forgot to pull the dark slide." Understatement of the year. At least, that 's what I remember that he said; might have been more colorful.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: