Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Does this actualy go with my speed graphic anniversary

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jcmurp

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:40 am    Post subject: Does this actualy go with my speed graphic anniversary Reply with quote

Well you guys helped ID my speed graphic but in the box there was a lense that just looks out of place. Any ideas of make or fit etc? The lens has two mounting ears (screw holes) and the shutter arm and marked as GEM Rochester optical co. 8 16 32 then I think SN of 64128 (how old would that be) then T I B near a pointer then around the very edge where the flat meets the barrel is BAUSCH & LOMB OPT. Co. Pat. App'd
Any help greatly appreciated if it does not got to my camera what is it for
thanks again

45PSS

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. any lens that can be mounted on a lens board that fits the camera can be used to some extent.
2. GEM is the shutter name. It was made by Rochester Optical Company.
http://graflex.org/articles/kingslake/
3. Bausch and Lomb is the lens manufacturer. There should be a number, inch or some indicator of focal length. Some of these early lens were listed by the plate size they covered, ie 6x8, 4x5 ect.
http://cameraeccentric.com/info.html has some early Bausch and Lomb catalogs but I think this lens is from before the earliest catalog of 1906.
4. The lever TIB is T-time, I-instantaneous, B-bulb. It appears to be a pneumatic operated shutter. You connect a squeeze bulb with tube to the fitting on the bottom of the cylinder and squeeze the bulb to operate it. Instantaneous will be in the 1/10 to 1/25 second range depending on how hard and fast you squeeze the bulb.
The numbers on the shutter plate are the apertures. It appears to be in the US scale.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F-number scroll down the page to the compassion chart.
I cannot tell what the first number is of if it is just an index mark, the rest are f8, f16, f32, f64, f128.
5. The two ears should be the mount flange. The mount flange should unscrew from the shutter.

Hopefully one of our lens experts will clarify further.
BrianShaw

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is NOT an OEM lens for Anniversary Graphic (or any other Graphic I dare say.

It is from an older camera but if the shutter works it might actually take decent pictures. Possibly like the off of the Pocket Kodaks of the 1900 - 1915 era. I have used a B&L lens of similar era and taken really nice pictures.

Last edited by BrianShaw on Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
BrianShaw

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh... if the shutter is no good or can't be revived, then open it up wiht "T" and use your Anniversary Graphic's focal plane shutter!
BrianShaw

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another "oh"... the aperture is most likely in US stop, not f-stop, as 45PSSS said.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Lenses Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: