Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New (tatty) Graphic owner, looking for help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Puggie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:45 pm    Post subject: New (tatty) Graphic owner, looking for help Reply with quote

Hi Everyone, first post here! I've just bought a very cheap speed graphic in the UK, the serial number is 847076, I believe this makes it a 1950 Pacemaker Speed Graphic. It is missing the lens board and clips and some bits of trim, the focal plane shutter is very slow and slack and cosmetically its seen much better days.

I have a Cambo 4x5 monorail camera that is very nice but this should be a more portable and well used replacement.

So... I want to refurbish it and intend to use it quite a lot, so I need help with the following:

1) Any good guides on stripping the speed graphic down to do a full rebuild of it?

2) How do I clean and calibrate the focal plane shutter?

3) Where can I get replacement lens-boards and clips to hold the lens board into the front standard (preferable proper speed graphic ones with the fixings), and the lens shutter release cable (mine has been trapped in the mechanism as the front standard has been folded away).

4) Re covering the case, I would like to stay away from simply stripping the leatherette off and polishing/varnishing the mahogany, The metal trim around the front is missing and the corners are well rounded with wear, so I will never get it looking factory fresh without out replacing all the trim. Any suggestions of what materials to finish it with other than black leather and wrinkle paint the metalwork. Any pics of other peoples refurbs that are different from just recovering as original or polished mahogany?

Anything else I should know? I have the 6 3/8" Graflex Optar in shutter from my Cambo and a Schneider 90mm Angulon in Linhoff synchro-compur to use with it, I do fancy something like the Aero Ektar to play with for portraits and maybe look at something longer, see how I get on with it.

Thanks

Bill.
1banjo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can go look at

http://lommen9.home.xs4all.nl/index.html
45PSS

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
2) How do I clean and calibrate the focal plane shutter?

http://www.southbristolviews.com/pics/Graphic/manual-pdf/servicemanual.pdf

The linked manual is for a Top Rangefinder, yours is a Side Rangefinder. There are some minor differences in the dialog of the service procedures but essentially the same for both versions of the camera.

Quote:
1) Any good guides on stripping the speed graphic down to do a full rebuild of it?

Many of the screws holding parts together are different sizes or lengths so keep the screws for a given piece separate from others.

The mahogany strips out easily. Round wood tooth picks work well as dowel to fill the stripped holes. Dip in wood glue, insert, clip flush, allow to cure, make a start indentation for the screw, then install the screw.

4. The original body covering is called Leatherette, a Vinyl that resembled the XXX Moroccan leather used on earlier cameras. Laying a damp cloth or sponge on a section and allow to sit 5 to 15 minutes may loosen the covering.

Members sites:
http://www.speedgraphic.fr/
http://graflex.coffsbiz.com/

watch ebay us a for parts/trim pieces.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: