Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

15 inch and 65mm lens adapters for Super Graphics???

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RichS

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone actually ever seen the Graflex adapters for the Super Graphics for the 15 inch and 65mm lenses?

Would anyone happen to own one or both??

If so, would you please contact me. I would love a photo/scan of the items.

I can understand how the 15" adapter could be made as the rangfinder tab would simply have to be extended an inch or so and I've made up a mock-up in plastic to make my own.

How they managed to make an adapter for the 65mm is beyond me though???

Thanks for any help...

bartsf

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All you need is the right Super Graphic Lens Kit.

For the 15" Tele-Optar:
Lensboard Assembly Cat. No. 9710 includes the lensboard and spacer, special lock ring and rangefinder actuator. $9.85
For the 65mm Super Angulon:
Lensboard Assembly Cat. 9709 Consists of special lensboard focusing mount and focusing spacer. Order infinity stops or mark track for use of spacer. (lens cannot be cam coupled to rangefinder.) $38.45.

If you perfer to order with the lens, you just order as an Accessory Lens Kit. These include lensboard, infinity stops, cam and other parts as required ready for fitting to Super Graphic camera.
for the 15" Tele-Optar:
Kit No. 9435.0 (manual tripping only, external shutter cord required) $296.15
for the 65mm Super Angulon:
Kit No. 9435.9 $226.40

These descriptions and prices from the October 1962 Graflex Price Catalog and so may be slightly higher these days.
RichS

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bart. I have a catalog collection here that goes up to about 1965 or 67. that's how I know they made the adapters. Seems that noone has ever actually seen them though.

Without a recessed lens board, I have no clue as to how they managed the 65mm. The fixed rails in the body just plain get in the way...

On one of my Supers, the front quarter inch or so of rail has been broken. Sounds like it would be a bad thing, but it allows me to mount shorter lenses and has no other ill affects. I'm thinking the breaks were intentional by some previous owner? Even with that, I can't mount my 65... I don't understand why Graflex couldn't cam a 65mm though? They must have had some real odd adapting system?

The 15" is basically easy with a simple extension of the rangefind tab that allows the rail to sit an inch forward when 'all the way back' at infinity. I'll get around to that one of these days. My plastic mock-up is too flimsy to use.

After I'm done with the 15", I may tackle the 65 problem. I do have a few thoughts on it and it does include camming the rangefinder... But if I can get my 75mm to work, I may not bother with a 65?

bartsf

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I don't have the whole 65mm kit but I do have the spacer. It works off of either infinity stops on the movable (front) track or a slot cut in the movable track. with the track racked in and the spacer in place, you then pull the standard out to butt againt it - the standard remains on the internal non movable track. Once you've got this properly established on infinity THEN you use the helictical focusing mount on the 65mm SA to focus on an estimated distance for your shot. I've seen a 65 SA in a focusing mount on a Graphic board at a show about 15 years ago. Should have bought it but didn't.
I wonder how many of these kits, especailly the 15 in ones, were raided for the lensboard and the balance thrown away?
Somewhere around here I have the proper instructions for fitting the 65mm spacer.
RichS

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did I miss the focusing mount? That's why the rangefinder doesn't work... I still think there's a better way..

I would bet the lens boards and mounts were used in many other aplpications, and how many could have been made in the first place? Now after all these years, how many people would even know what they were for if found?

Even though it would still be nice to have photos of the original accessories, I suppose it will come down to making my own for practical reasons. I'm still amazed at the lack of Super parts out there...
Markus

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just found something on eBay: the 65mm Super Angulon on a Graphic lens board with focusing mount and spacer. This looks like it could be the complete original Graflex lens kit for the Super Graphic? Can anyone confirm? The photos are on my personal Web site here:

https://markus.jork.com/camera-museum/#/super-angulon-65mm-f8/

Does the chain around the spacer belong on there? Or did some previous owner put that on there to prevent loosing this small part?

The photo shows the lens mounted on my Super Graphic and adjusted for correct infinity focus.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Accessories Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: