Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tripping a 152mm Ektar in Supermatic Shutter

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tim Povlick

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 5:25 am    Post subject: Tripping a 152mm Ektar in Supermatic Shutter Reply with quote

Just picked up a nice 152mm Ektar in Graphic Supermatic X shutter. The chrome shined up like new and it really looks great. Two questions:

How does one use the side mounted shutter trip of a Crown? The metal tab that normally trips the shutter hits the frame of the shutter and one can't put it in camera. It seems one would need a cut down "L-bracket".

Can this shutter work with flash bulbs? A solenoid is attached.

There is a chrome pushbutton that can be pressed once shutter is cocked. Is this to fire the strobe for checking the lighting? Oops that's 3 Q.

Thanks,
Tim
45PSS

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. There were 3 different length actuators available for the Pacemaker body release. Good luck finding the one you need. Better bet is to fabricate one.
The Side Rangefinder Service Manual calls them: Arm-manual trip.
The Top Rangefinder Service Manual calls them: Clamp-manual trip.
Part numbers in both manuals:
31102P1 #3 shutter
31102P3 #2 shutter
31102P4 #1 shutter

2. Yes,
http://graflex.org/helpboard/viewtopic.php?t=1453

3. Press to focus. Cock shutter, press and hold button, trip shutter, cock shutter to release.
It's a Kodak Supermatic rebadged.
Tim Povlick

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:58 am    Post subject: T H A N K S ! ! Reply with quote

1) I was afraid of this and figured I'd have to make one.

2) quickly set the solenoid so it would consistently trip the shutter and hooked up the Graf-Flash to the solenid and timing look good from resulting image. The shutter trip is a bit stiff, this baby needs cleaned / lubed.

3). Seems redundant to T setting but I tried it and it works. Would never have figured that one out.

Thanks for your help C. !

Best,

Tim
45PSS

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See:
http://cameraeccentric.com/html/info/graflex_11.html
and
http://cameraeccentric.com/html/info/graflex_12.html
for most Graphic branded shutters info.

Rule of thumb for large format shutters:
T- time= cock the shutter, most brands, 1st press of the shutter release opens the shutter; 2nd press of the shutter release closes the shutter; turning the speed dial to another speed also closes the shutter after the first press of the shutter release.

B- bulb= cock the shutter, most shutter, press the shutter release and the shutter opens and remains open as long as the shutter release is held in the trip position and closes when the shutter release lever is released.

Press to focus=Cock the shutter, most shutters, and press the press to focus lever in then A. trip the shutter and the shutter will stay open until the press to focus lever is released by recooking the shutter or B. press the lever in and the shutter will open and stay open until the lever is released by tripping the shutter or pulling up on the press to focus lever (preferred method).

Some shutters open without cocking the shutter when the press to focus lever is pressed.

Dial set shutters are only cocked for timed speeds, B & T functions operate without cocking the shutter.
Tim Povlick

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the information about all the shutters and various settings. Sad to say that I have been cocking the shutter when using B or T setting.

Best Regards,

Tim
45PSS

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dial set shutters have a tube across the top with a small speed dial in front of the tube and a lever in the lower portion of the shutter face marked IBT.

Press shutters are self cocking.
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim Povlick wrote:
Thanks for the information about all the shutters and various settings. Sad to say that I have been cocking the shutter when using B or T setting.

Best Regards,

Tim
Tim, this is OK with a rim set shutter like the Supermatic.

It is not OK with Compound shutters or dial set Compurs. There are other dial set shutters but these two are the most common.
Tim Povlick

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dan,

Oh I get it now! I haven't seen a dial set shutter in person yet hence my confusion. Those things look really old. I've been mainly messing with 4x5 and 8x10 gear in Copal shutters.

I like the idea of the press shutter.

Thanks and Regards,

Tim
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Lenses Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: