Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

90mm Lens Left Infinity Stop vs. Rangefinder Actuator Arm

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bartbob

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:57 pm    Post subject: 90mm Lens Left Infinity Stop vs. Rangefinder Actuator Arm Reply with quote

Finally got a pair of infinity stops for my Super Speed Graphic to use with my Grafles Optar WA 90mm lens. I'd marked the rails where the front standard's front edge needs to be for almost perfect focus with the rangefinder focused at infinity. Installed the right hand stop without any problems.

The left stop won't install where it needs to be. The rangefinder's actuator is too far forward on the rail to let the stop go back far enough. The stop needs to go another sixth of an inch or so back but can't. I've come up with three possible solutions:

One's to grind the left stop's back end off all the way to the hinge (maybe a bit into the hinge, too) so it'll butt against the back edge of the flipped up stop then be back to the same distance from the rail's front edges as the right stop is. Then use just one flat tipped screw to anchor it in place. I think this would work.

Another is to not use a stop on the left rail but scribe a line on the left rail's top even with the front standard when it's the same distance back from the rail's front as the right stop is. Then just align the front standard's left side vertially with the mark on the rail.

And finally, don't use either stop, but instead make an H shaped aluminum spacer whose legs' lengths are the correct distance from the back of the two stops for the 135mm lens needed for the 90mm one when it's used. Inserting the H spacer between the 135's stops and the standard set back a bit, then pulling the standard forward in contact with the bottom of the H's legs, Tighten the standard's clamp to hold it in place.

Comments and suggestions welcomed. I didn't know this was a situation to deal with as none of the related web site's information mentions this problem with SSG's.

PS:

Anyone know the approximate mfg. date of a Graflex 90mm W.A Optar with serial number G44XXXN? Couple of sites mention if it's 'G" prefixed, it may well be one of the last ones made. It's also mentioned that all the Graflex 90mm Optar WA's were made by Wollensack.....
45PSS

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the yoke fully retracted then moved forward .040 +/- .010 inch then locked focus the RF on an infinity target at least 5000 feet away. Move the range finder actuator in until it contacts the RF actuator slide and the RF is in coincidence then tighten the screw(s) in the actuating bracket to secure it in place.

Now if your yoke/actuator is in correct adjustment follow steps 3 thru 6 of
http://graflex.org/helpboard/viewtopic.php?t=5819
and remove the bellows/front standard from the body.

Check the range finder tube for clearance between the rear of the tube at the lower turn and the back of the body. Loosen the clamp screw at the bottom of the tube at the actuator slide and the lowest vertical clamp screw/nut (lower front handle/flash bracket screw). Keeping the actuator slide in alignment with the bed guide slide the tube reward until it touches the back edge of the body then tighten the clamp screws/ nut. Reinstall the bellows/front standard (reverse of removal). Adjust the RF actuator slide.

I have a infinity stop with the edge cut flush with the hinge. I would not cut a infinity stop hinge.
bartbob

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

45PSS, thanks for the procedures and checks to make. I'd figured out some of them but not all; you made up the difference.

I was able to slide strips of cardboard behind the rangefinder tube and the body to check for clearance. The rangefinder tube seems too close to the rear of the body to allow it to move back enough to let the actuator move back enough so the left infinity stop will align with the right one.

So, I think I'll grind off the back of the left stop then use the flat tipped set screw to lock it in place. Don't think I'll need to grind off the back of the hinge barrel and the hinge pin. Although with it being .10 inch thick, I think it could be reduced to .07 inch thick and still work well.
45PSS

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

correction, the cut infinity stop I have is cut .5mm into the hinge. the hinge pin is tight so it may be safe to trim a little off after all.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: