Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

RB Super D 3.25 x 4.25!!!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Roger Thoms

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 12:48 am    Post subject: RB Super D 3.25 x 4.25!!! Reply with quote

Hi everyone, just wanted tell you all about my new camera, a RB Super D 3.25 x 4.25. It was Craigslist purchase and included 6 cut film holders, a bag mag, pack film holder, and couple of filters. The camera came with 152mm kodak Ektar lensthat'ss super clean. The camera it self is in pretty nice shape with a little scuffing on the corners.

Yesterday I went through the camera. The first order of business was to get the diaphragm working, it was sticky and just need some very judicious lubrication. I used Triflow and tooth pick. The second order off business was to get the shutter working which was sluggish. I followed instruction that I found here on the forum to lube the rollers and adjust the spring tension on the shutter. Took a little patience but I managed to get the shutter working pretty nicely. I also used a soft bristle paint brush and a rubber bulb blower to clean the dust and dirt off the camera. Then I used some Renaissance wax on the leather and chrome. Hope that was ok, guess I'll find out.

I did have one disappointment that was remedied by studying the owners manual. Once I had the shutter back together I couldn't get the Time setting to work and thought that I had screwed it up. I was under the misimpression that you hit the shutter release to release the mirror, a second time to open the shutter, and again to close it. After studying the manual I finally figured out that you gently press lever M to open and close the shutter when doing time exposures.

So, so far so good, next thing is to get some film. Initially I think I'll cut some film down, maybe some 5x7 Aristo that I have. This should be fun since I never cut sheet film down before. I also need to check out the Bag Mag, which I know absolutely nothing about, it does appear to be in good condition.

I'll post some pictures off the camera tomorrow if I can figure that out.

Roger
45PSS

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The first order of business was to get the diaphragm working, it was sticky and just need some very judicious lubrication. I used Triflow and tooth pick.

If you are referring to the lens diaphragm then get some CRC Electronic Contact Cleaner (similar cleaner that leaves no residue and is safe on plastics will work) and flush that oil out. Oil will migrate onto the aperture blades and cause them to stick together and or break.

Get some AGS Extra Fine Graphite (or similar brand) and rub some into the pivot pins and blades. I use a cotton swab then remove the cotton fibers left behind. Be careful not to bend the blades. Regular graphite is too coarse to use.

Both of these products are readily available locally.

I use Pledge furniture polish on the leather, works great. There are many good leather cleaners/conditioners on the market.

Cutting down film is tricky as the film has a tendency to curl and/or buckle as it is being cut and requires a very sharp knife.

To post pictures on this site upload them to a image hosting site then link or embed them here. Images wider than 640 pixels causes excessive side scrolling for the entire post if they are embedded.
Roger Thoms

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

45PSS, thanks for the info. Yes I have a bit to learn, but since I'm famous for never completing camera projects I felt it was best to just go for it on this one. I did research quite a bit on this site which was very helpful.

Here is a picture of the camera.

Roger

http://img713.imageshack.us/img713/17/rbsuperd3x4.jpg
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Reflex Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: