Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

3x4 Speed Graphic serial number

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wrench

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:04 pm    Post subject: 3x4 Speed Graphic serial number Reply with quote

I just purchased a 3x4 Anniversary Speed that has no serial number. It's has the round wire pullup sport view finder. 1940-1946 I think. My 14 other Graphics all have one on a plate or the usual one on the housing, any place else to look?

Last edited by wrench on Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:11 am; edited 1 time in total
45PSS

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the bed open, the bellows/front standard fully inside the body, turn the camera upside down and look at the bottom side of the camera top with a flashlight.
wrench

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's the usual place but no number exists.
45PSS

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ink faded and is hard to see, the stamper ran out of ink and it was not noticed when this one passed the stamping station, the new kid on the production line did not know he/she was to stamp it or stamped it in the wrong place. It may even be under the leather.
wrench

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm new to graphics, but none of the ones I have are stamped with ink. I have a couple of lightly punched serial numbers but none with ink. Maybe it's a special OSS model, there were no serial numbers on their guns either. after all it has a black lens.
45PSS

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ink stamped serial numbers began sometime in the 1920's to early 1930's. The Pacemaker series is the only one with a plate riveted to the bed with a stamped serial number. Beginning in 1960 a date code was ink stamped on the bottom of the rails of Pacemakers. Very early cameras were embossed into the wood. There have been a few reports of serial number not found or stamped in very obscure places.

If your camera is totally black with no chrome then it is a 1943 or 1944 model.
bruiser

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say that not one of my Graphics (nearly 50 of them) is ink stamped. All my pre Pacemaker Speeds have the serial number physically stamped into the timber.

Cheers,
Bruce Thomas
http://graflex.coffsbiz.com
wrench

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. It's not all black, in fact it's the only reason I bought it was for the black lens, to put on a WW II model. It's scary close to this one http://graflex.coffsbiz.com/civilian.html 5th row down 3rd from the left except the black lens. They seem to be multiplying, I had none on the first of February now I have 6- 4x5's, 2- 3x4's, and 7- 2x3's. I'm glad February is a short month [/code]
45PSS

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.graflex.org/helpboard/viewtopic.php?t=133
http://www.graflex.org/helpboard/viewtopic.php?t=292

If the number is stamped (no indentation into the wood) it is ink, if the number is embossed then it is a machine stamp.
bruiser

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charles,

I just had a good look at all my Speed Graphics 1912-1947 and definitely not one has the serial number ink stamped, they all have the serial number embossed into the wood. Including a beautiful 8x10 Cycle Graphic (serial no 53568). Out of curiosity how many do you have that are ink stamped? Any chance of seeing a photo? I'd just like to add the info to my own site.

By the way I also have all black (no chrome) wartime Speed Graphics made in 1942 and 1945 as well as the 1943 and 1944 models.

To wrench: nice instant collection you have there! Enjoy them

Cheers,
Bruce
45PSS

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce,
I'm surprised that none of your Speeds have ink stamped numbers. I've been looking thru the old posts but cannot find (did not read them all) when it was discussed a few years back. I only have 1 Super Speed, sold the 15 other cameras I had. All the Anniversary Speeds I've had my hands on had ink stamped numbers and most of the Graflex Slr's with wood view hood doors had ink stamped numbers with the earlier ones embossed.

Remember the only constant with Graflex is there are no absolutes.

When searching for serial numbers a mini mag flashlight set to focus a spot at a 2 inch distance and held 45 degrees to the surface being checked works best 95+% of the time.
bruiser

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charles,

In my assortment of over 30 wooden Graphics (Cycle, Top Handle, Pre-Anniversary and Anniversary) not an ink stamped number in sight, all embossed. I haven't checked all the Graflex SLRs yet due the serial numbers being in so many places but I'll let you know. The whereabouts of the serial number on a Press Graflex still eludes me even after an almost total dismantle! Could be under the leather as you mentioned in a previous post today but I don't want to go that far.

Cheers,
Bruce
wrench

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce,
Only one you haven't found the serial number on? As good of shape that it is I just wonder if maybe it was a service body one that would've been in parts and the service department replaced the body. at any rate it's not embossed. I was kidding about the OSS model.

Bob
bruiser

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bob,

I'm not sure of that camera's history but I sure can't find a serial number! Even a dental mirror/maglite search in it's inner cavities reveals nothing.

The only other Graflex I have with a well hidden or non existent number is another 5x7 camera, a very early Auto Graflex with the accordian style viewing hood. Damned if I can find the serial number on that one either.

Cheers,
Bruce
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: