Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

recommendations for lens for crown graphic

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tfalk

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 2:18 pm    Post subject: recommendations for lens for crown graphic Reply with quote

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for a lens I could look out for to replace the Xenar 135 on the crown graphic i purchased recently. I am looking for something with more coverage for movements. The size could range from 135 to 150.
thanks
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By an odd coincidence that won't bear close examination, there's a list of lenses on this site. See http://www.graflex.org/lenses/lens-spec.html

No lens from the big four (in alphabetical order, Fuji, Nikon, Schneider, Rodenstock) would be a bad mistake if in good order. Used lenses are offered by many vendors, including but not limited to keh.com, mpex.com, and a horde of two-bit chiselers (I'm sometimes one of them) on ebay.com

If you're looking for less modern or less well-known, all harder to find than lenses from the big four, EKCo made a dandy 152/4.5 Ektar, Wollensak made a 160/5.6 Pro Raptar. I have a very nice 150/5.6 Boyer Saphir BX; this is a Zircon (roughly equivalent to Symmar-S or Sironar) badged as an enlarging lens. These beasties are good, often inexpensive, usually in barrel so will need a shutter.
1banjo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey tfalk
for something with more coverage for movements
a Schneider 120mm Super Angulon or
a Kodak 135mm Wide Field Ektar

banjo
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, come on, banjo, Graphics allow little in the way of movements. Front rise, and not much of it, is about all they have that's usable. A lens that covers 70 degrees won't run out of coverage on a Crown.
1banjo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what Dan are you saying that a Schneider 120mm Super Angulon is to good of a lens to use on a Crown!!!!!!!!!!!
banjo
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No lens that can be made to fit on a Graphic is too good to use on a Graphic, but a 120 Super Angulon that covers 8x10 is somewhat wasted on most 4x5 cameras.

Same goes for most of the lenses I use on my 2x3s. Many, not all, of them have more coverage than can be used with my little cameras.
tfalk

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:42 pm    Post subject: lens for crown graphic Reply with quote

thanks everyone, for the ideas. I should have also stated that I am looking for lenses that are as compact as the Xenar that came with the camera so I can just fold it up instead of taking it off each time.
1banjo

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey tfalk
a kidding a side there are good lens out there like maybe Wollensak made a 160/5.6 Pro Raptar THAT I have never seen on ebad
but to have coverage for movements you need a 150mm & longer or a Wide Angle

150mm S-K Xerar, 165mm Ilex-Caltar , 150mm Nikon Nikkor, Fuji Fujinon 150mm f5.6

But I see Schneider 120mm Angulon on ebad alot And as of to day there are 3 152/4.5 Ektar on ebad you don't see that minty of them . Also today there is 1 Kodak 135mm Wide Field Ektar on ebad I have only seen 3 all year & I got one of them for my self!!
but most of the older 127mm & 135mm don't have alot of movements on 4x5s as they
really are for 3 1/4 x 4 1/4 cameras with movements . What you need to go by is Image Circle Coverage and a 4x5 is about 147mm Image Circle SO to have nice movements
it would be nice to have Circle Coverage of say 200mm. The page http://www.graflex.org/lenses/lens-spec.html that Dan gave don't have all of the older lens listed. it does show that the Ektar 152mm has Circle Coverage 182mm And the
Ektar 135mm Wide Field has Circle Coverage of 229mm And the Angulon 120mm is 211mm of Circle Coverage

banjo
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: