Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How do I get to the innards of my Super Graphic rangefinder?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
charlie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:01 pm    Post subject: How do I get to the innards of my Super Graphic rangefinder? Reply with quote

Could someone tell me how to get into the guts of the top mounted rangefinder of my ('58?) Super Graphic? I can get the bellows off, but after that all I see is a bunch of screws on the underside of the RF, and I don't want to remove any without knowing what they're attached to.

I've looked at the service manual available online, but that's for a Pacemaker and it seems that rangefinder was a separate "pod" on top of the camera body. I'm talking about the type that was integral to the camera body.

Thanks,

Charlie
45PSS

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Remove the battery cover and batteries. Remove the flash calculator cover retainer clip then release the retainer. Lift the cover from the body.
2. Apply methyl ethyl ketone or similar solvent to the distance indicator at the pinion shaft to loosen the adhesive. Gently pry up on the indicator at the pinion shaft using two flat blade screwdrivers. You will have to reuse the indicator so do not damage it. Remove the distance scale.
3.Remove the focus panel. rotate the back partway between landscape and portrait positions and remove the six clips holding the bellows to the camera body.
4. Remove the lower right rear handle/flash bracket screw while holding the terminal strip cover nut then remove the cover.
5.Using a small flat blade screwdriver or small needle nose pliers remove the bellows and rangefinder wires from the terminal strip apply pressure to the terminal end only.DO NOT pull on the wires themselves.
6. With the bed locked at 90 degrees, unlock the front standard and remove the bellows assembly from the camera.
7. Remove the rangefinder lens cam.
8 .Pay special attention to what screw and washer comes off what actuator tube clip and that clips position on the tube, they are different.
Remove the screw, metal washer, and fiber washer at the bottom of the RF actuator tube next to the actuator slide at the bed. Remove the lower left rear handle/flash bracket screw while holding actuator tube clip nut at lower rear of tube.
9. Turn camera up side down and while holding pressure against the cam cover spring remove the cam cover screw, washers, and cover. Failure to keep spring pressure off the cam cover will cause the screw or socket to strip.
10. Remove the two remaining actuating tube clips and screws.
11. With camera upright drop left edge of actuator tube, rotate forward, slide actuator from bed and remove the tube from the body.
12. Remove the six screws ( three each side) along the outer edges of the rangefinder assembly.
13. Drop the left edge (opposite switch) of the rangefinder assembly down then out of the body. The rangefinder sits on lips and recesses under the camera top. A slight outward pressure on one side of the camera body may be necessary to clear the mount lip.

Installation is reverse of removal. Rangefinder assembly should be centered on the mount lips so that the terminal cover top will just fit between the body and rangefinder.

Fill distance indicator cup with adhesive then position on the pinion shaft. Set indicator to read infinity with cam in tube and on the infinity point of the cam. See
http://www.graflex.org/helpboard/viewtopic.php?t=4647
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: