Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Focal Plane Shutter Help for Newbie

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Weegee

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 1:43 pm    Post subject: Focal Plane Shutter Help for Newbie Reply with quote

Hello all,
Just picked up my second graphic in a week, a 4x5 Speed, serial 833982. Believe it's a '46? The camera is a 5 on a scale of 1-10, and I'm sure it's been sitting awhile. Bellows are tight and I shot some polaroids through it and there are no light leaks. I then checked the focal plane shutter and rotated the curtain clockwise until it stopped turning. Then I tried to fire it and nothing happens. So now I can't take a picture with the front shutter, because the curtain from the FP is blocking the film (no slit in the FP curtain visible). And the turning knob for the FP shutter won't advance more than a smidge forward or back. I know this is probably in need of a good CLA, but I'd like to run some more film through it (using front shutter) before I do that. Does anyone have experience with the FP shutters that can guide me? Also, I would like to take some of these parts off and clean and paint them (Springback, top viewfinder, etc.). Is that wise or not? I don't really want to "restore" the camera, I'd just like it to look a LOT better. All responses appreciated. I absolutely love my cameras (other one is a 3x4 Crown that is almost mint). Thanks.
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah, its a Pacemaker. Did you sent the shutter selector to "rear"?
Weegee

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Dan --
I did set shutter selector switch to rear, but nothing happens when you move switch to rear or "trip." That switch moves up and down, but perhaps I'm not triggering the rear shutter correctly? To my completely unknowing brain, it seems like there is no spring, or method to trip the shutter.
45PSS

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.cameraeccentric.com/html/info/graflex_5.html
or
http://www.cameraeccentric.com/html/info/graflex_4.html

First link is a perfect match for your camera, a 1947 or 1948 Pacemaker Speed. (In IE you can right click each page and select "save as" to save a copy to your computer for your records.)

Try setting the governor lever to the other position. Try pressing in on the switch when moving to the "Trip" position.
Weegee

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 3:53 am    Post subject: Focal Plane Shutter Reply with quote

45 -- Thanks for the info. Took the camera apart last night and wound the curtain by hand to the open spot, so I at least am able to take pics using the front shutter. Am going to go through manuals next and see what else I can learn. Thanks again for the link.
45PSS

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Side RF Focal Plane Shutter Repair Info
OR in Internet Explorer right click each image, select "save picture as", click

'save" to save to the folder on your computer of your choice.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: