Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

question: ilex acme #2 = kodak supermatic #2 ?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
vitaly66

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:52 pm    Post subject: question: ilex acme #2 = kodak supermatic #2 ? Reply with quote

I'm looking for the specs for the Ilex Acme No. 2 shutter. Is it dimensionally compatible with the Kodak Supermatic No. 2?

Specifically, does anyone here know if the lens cells from a 127mm Ektar can be swapped directly from the Supermatic to the Ilex?

Many thanks!
Les

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have specs on the Acme #2 but I'm going to say the answer is:

it depends.

Here's why. I was at a store and found their stash of mounting flanges. I wanted one for a 190 WF ektar in an Acme #3. I found a couple that looked close, and I went over to his display of used lenses and as luck would have it he had a Schneider lens in a #3 acme! I checked out my flanges and found one that fit and was smiling all the way home....

Until I got home tried it and found it did NOT fit.

Apparently there are Acme shutters and there are Acme shutter made for Kodak. Back then if you ordered by the railroad car load, you could have the thread diameter of your choice.

So if that Ilex shutter had a Kodak lens in it, then there's a chance it will, if it was for a wolley paragon or something else, the chances are very slim.
1banjo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey vitaly66

I don't see a #2 Ilex listed
THREADS DIMENSIONS
this is from http://www.skgrimes.com/ilex/index.htm#backup
I thank that Kodak used Metric THREADS BUT not standed
like a #0 Compur or Prontor used
When is an Ilex not an Ilex? Shutters marked as "Made for Eastman Kodak", are often made to different dimensions from the standard production runs. This means that lenses and mounting flanges may not be easily interchangeable between different shutters!!
untill Kodak went to using Compur in the late 1950's they had there own THREADS DIMENSIONS NOT compatable to any one!
banjo
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finding out much about US-made shutters is frustrating.

Here's a little on Ilex shutters. The #2 is mentioned. http://www.cameraeccentric.com/html/info/ilex_2.html

Here's a little on Rapax shutters: http://www.cameraeccentric.com/html/info/wollensak_16.html

Here's a semi-complete source on all sorts of shutters: http://www.suaudeau.eu/memo/pratique/Les_obturateurs_centraux.html Like all the others, incomplete and imperfect.

FWIW, I don't believe that "Rochester" went metric until the late '60s or early '70s, also that there was no standardization across manufacturers. I have an electric Ilex #00 whose threads match the Compur/Prontor #00 standard but that is much shorter than the standard.

Basically, Rochester went its own way. Vitaly, I don't know for sure but I'd be astonished if any shutter EKCo made matched the dimensions of a shutter than another firm made.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Lenses Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: