Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Developing 2X3 sheet film in a Patterson Tank...?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
vincent

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:11 am    Post subject: Developing 2X3 sheet film in a Patterson Tank...? Reply with quote

I've read the various ways of developing sheet film, and I have noted problems or difficulties with each technique. With my usual 120 film and Paterson tank I load the film at night, and develop during the day--simple, efficient, repeatable results. So now I am thinking of adjusting a Patterson reel to fit the width of Ilford 2X3 sheet film, super-glue the core to that dimension, and slide 2x3 sheets onto the spool, guiding them along to make room for 4-6 sheets, then developing per normal 120. What do you think, folks?
Les

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The biggest problem you'll have is the film shifting and over lapping during processing. Both Nikor and Jobo made reels for sheet film. Instead of one long spiral, it has 8 or 10 or 12 short spirals. The Nikor tank is very hard and expensive to acquire, the Jobo, while not cheap is easy

This one is on ebay right now;
http://cgi.ebay.com/Jobo-2521-Large-Format-Processing-tank-with-reel_W0QQitemZ190329238466QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item2c5081b3c2&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14#ht_500wt_934

and since it doesn't have the cog, it won't work with most of the more desirable jobo processors, which should mean it will go cheaper than one with a cog. These work just as well as a paterson tank for hand processing, and the reel is adjustable.
vincent

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

les...thanks for that information...got the Jobo on "watch"...I was close to giving up on this Graflex business--too much fuss, but a simple means to develop gets me back on track...
msswis

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Developing 2X3 sheet film in a Patterson Tank...? Reply with quote

As much maligned as I have seen the Yankee adjustable cutfilm tank, I have had good results developing 2-1/4 x 3-1/4 and 6.5 x 9 cm cut films in mine.

The adjustable rack keeps the films adequately separate and is not difficult to load once you get the knack. These tanks are still available new and aren't too expensive - Freestyle lists them for about $30. You could probably find a used one for much less.
alecj

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be on the lookout for the RACK Nikor made for this purpose. I used one for years. They are occasionaly on e-bay and are NOT expensive.

They had maybe 6-8 slotts which held the film sheets parallel and it was sized for a 120 tank. Very economical to use. In my mind that would be the BEST and cheapest option if you can find one.
alecj

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's one of the little Nikkor racks I described above.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NIKOR-Tank-for-Cut-Film-Developing-Stainless-Steel_W0QQitemZ290353593234QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item439a6c3b92&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14
vincent

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies...as it turns out, I gave back the camera (a Busch) because it was not at all in the condition the seller stated (eBay sellers need to look up the meaning of the words "mint" and "like new"), and this is the second miss-conditioned camera (the first was a Graphex 2x3). I have since, and recently, purchased a late model, more expensive 4x5 crown, thinking that since I am jumping into the press camera pool, it might as well be with both feet. Of course the issue of my developing the film remains, though there seems to enough material on the site to figure it out. Thanks again, all.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Film Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: