Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New here....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GraspTheMoment

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:17 am    Post subject: New here.... Reply with quote

Hey everyone

My name is Brian, I'm a photographer (part hobby, but I've sold a good number of prints at shows and on ebay) and I've just been given my grandfather's Crown Graphic.

I need all the help I could get. Where can I get film? Do I need to develop it myself? How do I learn any info about my camera (I've heard the serial number could help, but I've struck out on google.)

Any other tips or suggestions??

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh ... and here's the camera...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm guessing you'll need film holders. Get those on ebay. look for Riteway or Fidelity or Lisco film holders. They all seem to be going cheap right now, so get the best.

Hey in New York City you shouldn't have any problem finding film. Paying for it is another question.

B&H Adorama and others should carry Kodak Tmax, but check to see if they have some off brands like Foma and Efke. www.freestylephoto.biz sells film by Foma and Efke under their own name at reasonable prices.

If there's a town that still has somebody processing B&W film, it'll be NYC. If not, then do some reading at photo.net about what different types of tanks and hardware is out there for processing. You can (with some practice) get great results processing film in trays that cost next to nothing, or you can by a Jobo processor for $1000 that will do the same thing without practice (and getting your fingers in the developer) And there are lots of options in between. do a Google search for Yankee Agitank, HP Combi or HP Combiplan. Fink & Roselieve (FR) made a tank too. All have people loving and despising each one.

After it's processed you'll either rent a dark room (There's one on Broadway around 391) Build your own darkroom, or get a scanner capable of scanning 4x5. (don't fiddle with a 35mm transparency adapter)
45PSS

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://cameraeccentric.com/html/info/graflex_4.html
http://cameraeccentric.com/html/info/graflex_5.html
to save the manual to your hard drive save each page.
The serial number is on a plate between the rails on the bed.
Run the rails out and look at the bottom of the first cross member, newer cameras have the date code stamped there.
http://southbristolviews.com/ scroll down the left plane for more links to manuals and info.
GraspTheMoment

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got quite of film holders. As a matter fo fact there's a lot of stuff (extra lenses, etc) that i found in the box too. I'll photograph them and maybe someone can help me ID everything.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian, hi. Your camera is an early Pacemaker Crown Graphic. The excellent 152mm Ektar lens-- probably the original lens-- appears to be from 1948.

Your Crown most likely has the standard spring back for sheet film holders (the 'Graphic back') but if you're lucky it may have a Graflok back which is more versatile. If you can get a roll film holder that fits your camera (easier if it's Graflok), then the world of 120 film opens up to you, and 120 is easier to start with than sheet fim. You can shoot color or C41 black and white, and get it commercially processed, and it scans beautifully.

If you want to get a taste of Graflex culture from your grandfather's era, look for a copy of Graphic Graflex Photography. The 8th edition (1947) and later editions cover the Pacemakers. There are usually a couple of copies on ebay.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: