Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

graflex speed graphic 2 1/4 x 3 1/4 - HELP!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
graflexvirgin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:34 pm    Post subject: graflex speed graphic 2 1/4 x 3 1/4 - HELP! Reply with quote

Can someone give me some general information about this camera? What kind of film does it take? Is that film still in production? Are there modifications that can be done to make it take film that IS still in production? I'm a little confused because in the camera models section, it says the only Speed Graphic that used 2 1/4 x 3 1/4 is the Pacemaker. Can I find any information using the serial number? It's 414782. The lens is a Kodak Ektar 101mm f/4.5.
Les

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

somebody needs to change the camera models page. There were two Speed Graphic cameras, one Crown Graphic and a Century Graphic camera that uses 2 1/4x 3 1/4.

The first Speed Graphic that used 2x3 film was the Miniature Speed Graphic. It will be black with chrome trim and use a black plastic lensboard.

The second Speed and Crown were both Pacemaker models. These use metal lensboards.

The Century Graphic was effectively the same as a Pacemaker Crown but had a plastic body.

From the serial number, your is probably a Pacemaker Speed made in 1947, the first year of production of the Pacemaker Series.

As to film...

In (what i suspect) is it's present form it uses 2 1/4 x 3 1/4 sheet film. B&W sheet film is available from Freestyle (freestylephoto.biz I think).

If the camera has been retrofitted with a Graflok back, then it can easily take Graphic roll film holders and use 120 film. 120 film is still available in B&W color Neg and transparency, though finding a lab to process color neg or trans is getting difficult.

The Graflok back is easily identified by two chrome slide locks (one top one bottom and two chrome rails to hold the ground glass assembly to the camera.

Your camera was made before the Graflok back was standard, so there's a better than even chance your camera has a Graphic or spring back (two names for the same back)
This back is easily identified by two flat leaf springs that are used to hold the ground glass assembly to the body.

These backs take a little more effort to use 120 film, but sheet film is quite easy.
Les

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heres a 2x4 Pace Speed with a Graflok back on ebay right now

http://cgi.ebay.com/2x3-Speed-Graphic-w-Graflok-Back_W0QQitemZ220485731037QQcmdZViewItemQQptZFilm_Cameras?hash=item3355f942dd&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14#ht_1656wt_1066

this will give you an idea what a Graflok back looks like.

Les
graflexvirgin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much for your quick reply! This is a link to some pictures of the camera: http://img.inkfrog.com/click_enlarge1.php?image=DSCN6870.JPG&username=vpten&aid=66647099

Can I make this camera use 4x5 film? If so, how? If not, what kind of film does it use normally?
graflexvirgin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry, i'm slowly figuring this out. the camera takes the 2 1/4 x 3 1/4 sheet film, which i can find at freestyle. cool. any way to make it take 4x5? mods? or 120 roll film?
Les

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any kind of modifications to bring this camera into using 4x5 will be difficult, probably resulting in the devaluing of the camera, and end up costing more than buying a 4x5 Speed Graphic.

120 yes. Like I said before, if you have a Graflok back, it's easy. Buy an RH8, (2x3), RH10 (6x7cm) or RH12 (2x2) or even a roll back from a Mamiya RB 67 and lock it on.

If you have the Graphic back, then things get a little more challenging.

You can find a pair of "Graflex roll film adapter springs" that can convert your Graphic/spring back into accepting any of the Graphic backs. But with this set up you lose ground glass focusing and composition.

or

You can get a Tatro Adapt a roll film holder. These slide in like a film holder so you don't have to modify the camera, BUT you'll need to stock up on 620 film spools, because while it will accept 120 film, it needs a 620 take up spool. Also both spools end up on the right side, so rangefinder use is difficult.

Then there's the Suydam roll film holder. These were cheap stamped sheet metal holders that would replace the ground glass, but, depending on the masks you put in before you loaded the film, you could do 6x9cm or 6x6. The problem with the Suydams are they made so many different models for different cameras it's almost impossible to find one that fits properly. Even then you'll lose ground glass focusing.

or watch ebay for a 2x3 Graflok back. It will fit without modifications, screw for screw. This is probably the cleanest mod to get your camera to use 120 film, and because it is, it's also the most expensive.
graflexvirgin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thankyouthankyouTHANKYOU for your advice
Graflex Sid

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A great Camera,G.V.
I had the 2,Speed & Crown.
I retained the Crown (no back shutter).You need to find a 120 roll film back for it.Solves worrying about finding cut film,anyway more simpler to process,or get processed.

I'll leave Les to talk technical to you-just wanted to say,welcome to this fine camera.

Be prepared to have people come up to you (eyes rolling) to ask where did you find that beauty.You now join the elite that owns part of American photography history.

That's of course,if you buy...
pv17vv

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

108 usd, who got it ?
Billy Canuck

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello graflexvirgin,
If you have a 2x3 Speed with a Graflok back (2 chrome sliders) you can use any of the Graphic rollfilm holders (6x6, 6x7, 6x9) that are common on the old auction site.
If your camera has the older spring back (no sliders) you need the spring kit which will let you use the above rollfilm holder.
If you're interested in a spring kit, send me a PM. The 2x3 Graphics are wonderful medium-format cameras.
mopar_guy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice looking Speed Graphic. It definitely has a Graphic back. I have 2x3 Pacemaker serial #414213. Almost identical to yours. Enjoy the camera.

Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: