Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

HEY WHAT IS THIS THING ??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
crutch

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2002 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, my dad passed away back in 1998, but when he was alive some guy gave him a bunch of old photo equipment. My dad was a photographer for the Navy in the Korean War, and left a battery of Nikons, one old neat German camera (everyone wants to buy that one). He was a photog hobbyist after the Navy. There are these massive dull green colored machines in our garage and basement for developing film. Also, I just opened a steel box yesterday, and inside is a complete SPEED GRAPHIC" camera with accessories. It is all black with serial #453197.

Questions: How old is this Speed Graphic camera ?? I'm thinking 1940-46 from what I can find on the net.

How come it's so hard to open ?? I can find no opening latch anywhere, and the only way it clicks open and lets the lens out, is if I VERY GENTLY slide a feeler gauge between the body and door, then it clicks and releases and opens. It was put away with the door ajar too. Was this a problem with these ??

There are a bunch of film holders in there too, and a Graphic film adapter with 12 unused exposures in it. Question, the "algon" film holders, is there film in there or not ?? How can I tell ?? They don't have the pull off sleeves hanging out like the adapter does for 12 exposures. Could there be pics in there undeveloped ?? (I guess there could be...)

Thanks all ahead of time. I have pics if anyone wants to see them. Email me at gmv@ddisp.net

[ This Message was edited by: crutch on 2002-04-11 16:27 ]
Les

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2002 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a garage full of "old camera equipment?'
pile of green boxes!!!???

I'll be right over!!!!

A black speed graphic sounds like an Anniversary Speed and i'm guessing around ''44-'46

Look at the handles to the darklsides, if the black side is turned out, that means the film has been exposed, if the silver or white side of the handle then it hasn't been exposed. In order to really know if film is really in there you'll have to go into the dark room and feel.

Now if there is exposed film in there, chances are the image has so deteriorated that it would take an expert darkroom chemist to get the most out of it.

So you used a feeler gage to open the door eh? Hmmm I'll trade you my dad's kennedy boxes full of machinist tools for your dad's garage full of cameras! (we always want what the other has, sigh)

If you feel around either the top of the box or on some the side opposite the Kalart rangefinder there is a dimple under the leather covering. should you ever lose your feeler gage you can push down on the pimple and it'll open.

[ This Message was edited by: Les on 2002-04-11 18:27 ]
Les

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2002 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ This Message was edited by: Les on 2002-04-11 18:25 ]
45PSS

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2002 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the camera in the "closed" condition, hold the bed facing you with the viewer on top. The knurled focusing knobs should be near the top of the bed and to your left and right. Go to the top of the camera, about half way between the focus knobs distance you WILL find a slight bump in the leather cover. Got It? Yes... press down--- the bed should open.

Check the film holders in total darkness to see if they are loaded. When the dark slide is pulled out the bottom opnes to allow insertion/ removal of film. Sheet film has notch codes cut into the lower right edge, Film guides tell which is what so if it is 1950's film i would have no guess as to what is there. Notch codes are read left to right, wide/narrow.
Special processing would be in order to obtain an image. Standard holder darkslide seems to be black-unexposed; white-exposed (may have that backwards). Which side of the darkslide is out should give clue as to which to check first.
More and maeby better info should come in from others.

[ This Message was edited by: 45PSS on 2002-04-11 18:33 ]
Les

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2002 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See Crutch, even the experts can't agree which way the darkslide is turned for "exposed'. I'm just gonna have to come over an help you out!

crutch

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2002 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

YO !! HEY !! LITTLE BUMP MAKES IT OPEN !! NOW I CAN SEE WHAT THE FEELER GAUGE WAS DOING !! No book with these found cameras !!

Thanks guys, wow, I NEVER got such a good response so quick, on any other board about any other subject !! Beginners luck maybe, whatever.

Now, the bad news, I see a problem. And possibly why, the camera was "given" to my dad in the first place.

The rails are chipped, that the lens assembly glides on, back inside the box. These screw into the box on either side. It looks like at one time, someone tried to close this camera, when the lens wasn't all the way back in. And broke the rail edges off in an upward direction. I found 2 little pieces of rail inside. And when I found this camera, it was in the box, but open and ajar, not fully closed, which seemed odd to me. And the lense/baffle assembly was just flopping around in there, not in the rails.

Next question: Is this a common problem ?? It looks like there's a metal arm inside the box, that acts as a stop, on the one side, to prevent the slider from coming out too far. Well that stop was behind the slider and not limiting the movement outward. I'm a mechanically inclined guy, and just guessing here by the looks of it, don't know the design, just found this thing yesterday, no kidding.

Can those little rails be replaced, and where (if) can I get these parts ?? Now I feel like I'm back working on an old car again- lol. Can't get away from it... hahaha. Tinker, tinker...
crutch

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2002 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yo guys, here's a list of what else was in the box with the camera, big metal box:

1-"long removeable optical viewfinder with #4 mask-graflex-#9106wide angle" in a little cardboard box

1-can of "Dupont Defender 16-D film developer" makes 4 quarts

1-"Kodak series adapter ring 1.5" 38mm"

1- glass lens in a Kodak black and yellow round plastic box, screws together like a woman's powder puff container, but there's a lens in there.

3- tinted lenses, yellow, green, orange, labelled "K-2", "X1" and "Kodak G"

1- bottle of red liquid "Dymo Thinner"

2-cords with 110 VAC plugs on one side, but weird adapter type plugs on the other, (flash ??) There looks like a spot for a battery in the big box, but it's missing if there was one.

1- "Heiland remote extension"

6 film holders:

1- "graphic film pack adapter" with pull out sleeves numbered 0-12, I think it said Polaroid, have to look again. Looks like unspent Polaroid film.

3- "graphic film holders" 4X5, but black side out, I'm guessing no film in there then, labelled "6B", "4AX" and "ekta-day"

2- "Algon film holders" black side out, labelled "thun"

1-flat cardboard Kodak film box with wooden tongs, string, and metal tools look like glass cutters on them but different.

Any takers on an explanation ?? Is this Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom here I found ?? Too bad the camera is damaged, but hey it's free. Any suggestions ??
45PSS

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2002 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suggestion 1). Less, send me your credit card info so I can go where ever and help this kid out.

Suggestion 2). Crutch, send me your email via private message feature and in a few days to a week I will send you, via email, a Zip file with IPB of the bed, rails, front standard assemblies, and you can determine from there.....

crutch

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2002 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey that's what I need, my dad walked me through the use of my Nikon FG once, picked it up for $125 a while back, a guy needed money. What he showed me in about 10 minutes on that camera, I never forgot it. Went right out to Cape Cod on vacation and took killer pics of the lighthouses and beach/ocean scenes. Of course this Speed Graphic will take some coaxing along to do that... lol. So far this thing is as much fun as a '52 Chevy...
steve@toprinting.com

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2002 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crutch,

Here's a tip that might work to see IF there's film in a double cut 4x5 holder.
Shake the holder with a finger on the slide pull handle. If you hear a light tapping sound it's loaded. Hear nothing . . . it's probably empty.

Sounds like you have a fun project ahead. Don't listen to these guys if the first word out of their mouths is, "Give me a credit card number." Do your own homework to find out for yourself the use and value of the equipment. Whatever is in the box, it's your father's legacy to you. Even now he's able to teach you something. Hang on to it tightly with both hands, then pass it on to your children.
alecj

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2002 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, 45PSS. I was thinking that too. How DARE you think of taking advantage of this kid, and with somebody else's credit card? :grin:

[ This Message was edited by: alecj on 2002-04-12 19:59 ]
45PSS

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2002 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1). I don't have one so I would have to use someone else's.
2). You are all going to have a hard time convinceing me that you wouldn't like to go look through his garrage and basement.

I have just completed scanning the entire "45" Pacemaker Speed & Crown Graphic factory manual reprint that I purchased a short while back and with a cdrw 20mb will be a snap. Covers post aniversary / pre Top RF.

Charles

[ This Message was edited by: 45PSS on 2002-04-12 22:10 ]
Les

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2002 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've talked to him via email back an forth all day. If he was a hundred miles closer I'd a been over there before 45PSS could even ask "expiry?"

It seems as though the camea is a Pacemaker speed with a working rear shutter, but lacks the gg assembly and needs some new rails. Still trying to figure what the other 'big green boxes" are. I'll let you know as soon as I get better information (and know it's all junk )

crutch

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2002 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all, and thanks Les and Charles for sending info. Anyone here can help themselves to the green boxes of junk, I'll just do a search on ebay by highest price first, then double it... lol, just kidding.

Got more "dope" on this stuff today from my mom, here goes: my dad was still working at he time, when a younger guy at work offered this stuff to my dad for free. This guy's father had passed away, he was from Maine, a prof. photographer at one time, and they were throwing it away.

I intend to get the names, etc., off those mean greenie machineys this weekend, be back, hope you don't mind extending your helpfulness beyond SG's only...

Thanks again, nice site, good people, been a pleasure...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: