Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

P 31 cam question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tfalk

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:55 pm    Post subject: P 31 cam question Reply with quote

Hi- I have a Crown Graphic, made in the mid 1960's that came with a Schneider Xenar 135mm lens. Currently I am testing to see if I can use the camera with its top mounted rangefinder, in which the image doesn't quite line up. I made sure the infinity stops were set right, and then took the cam out. It is labeled P31. What is this for? Someone mentioned to me it should be P5, and that the numbers are for Kodak lenses, so which lens is this cam for?
thanks
wlkehoe

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:10 pm    Post subject: crown graphic cam Reply with quote

hi,
i can't answer your exact question, but there's a slim chance my experience might help. i recently bought a 4x5 crown that had a really odd-looking cam that was not numbered at all. however, when i looked at it under a loupe, what appeared to my aging eyes to be an area of slight roughness was actually microscopic engraving showing the lens type, focal length and even serial#. maybe yours has that too. good luck.
Les

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The focal length engraved on the lens is approximate. I could be up to a couple of millimeters either way. Graflex had something like 12 different cams for "127mm lenses" because Kodak, Wolley, B&L and Zeiss all drifted slightly differently.

there are almost the same number of cams for 135mm or 13,5cm. So it's entirely possible that your cam matches your lens. Without some way of accurately (down to a 1/10mm) measuring the focal length you can't tell.

Les
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: