Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Full-Frame 4x6 Color Prints from 6x9 Negs.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jim23

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2002 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cannot find a lab that will process and print 8 exp. (6x9) C-41 rolls. Processing is not a problem, but no one will make 4x6 or other size full-frame prints. They all want to just provide 4x5's and cut of the ends of the frame (printed as 6x7). The only other option is custom printing of the negatives which is very costly. Any one know of a lab that will dev./print 6x9 frames?
Les

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2002 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was one of the reasons I abandoned 6x9. The problem is the manufacturer of the printing equipment doesn't make a 6x9 neg holder or the lab doesn't want to shell out $299 so he can do your prints for 2.99.

This means if you ask for machine 5x7s they are going to crop both the ends and the tops and bottoms, since 6x7 doesn't fit 5x7 format.

Maybe, just maybe, the new digital lab may be the answer. The new generation labs are scanning the negatives and then printing them on RA-4 paper with an LED head. Maybe it's possible to scan a 6x9 neg.

[ This Message was edited by: Les on 2002-01-03 05:19 ]
LelandRay

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2002 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Les, my lab uses a Noritsu/Kodak Digital Lab System, and it'll print any size from any neg you can load into the thing. The operator simply scrolls through his list of print size templates till the right one is highlighted, then tells the computer how many prints to make. Then he goes to the preview and does any correcting (and cropping, if necessary or desired).

The problem arises from that same old negative carrier bugaboo. I don't think this one does 6x9, though it will accept digital input, which is how I print from 4x5 slides and negs. I just hand over a CD of 400ppi scans and receive prints in return.
Henry

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2002 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same problem with labs as Jim23. Even prints from 6x7 negs are cropped as 4x5s. I finally stopped getting prints and saved a bundle, which helped defray cost of the scanner and printer I now use to make images on the Mac in Photoshop.
jdman

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2002 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is available in scanners that is affordable, that will do up to 4x5 negatives for non professional use. I see alot of 35mm but not much on larger sizes. Russ
Henry

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2002 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out the current (Feb. '02) issue of Shutterbug. There's a rave review of the new Epson Perfection 2450 Photo, est. street price $399. If I didn't already own the Epson 1600 Expression (and it cost a LOT more than $399!) this is the one I'd get.

According to the review, this is the all-in-one scanner that everybody's been waiting for. It'll do 35mm all the way up to 4x9" on the built-in transparency adapter, and outputs via USB and Firewire. All the specs look real good: resolution, dynamic range, etc.
jdman

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2002 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I have a B/W darkroom, but like to play with photoshop, and it looks like going to negatives into it rather than prints will give you better resolution.
cgoff

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2002 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-01-06 13:06, jdman wrote:
Thanks, I have a B/W darkroom, but like to play with photoshop, and it looks like going to negatives into it rather than prints will give you better resolution.

If you're scanning into Photoshop, yes, negs will work better than prints, but best of all is transparencies. Most scanner software is a little seak on compensating for the variations in film base color between negative-film manufacturers.

I'm not an expert on Graflex cameras, despite having used them for 20+ years (this statement being my salute to the vast knowledge of some of the other members of this forum), but I DO know scanning and Photoshop quite well.

My recommendation: Shoot transparency film, such as Velvia (I don't miss Kodachrome since I started using Velvia), or Provia (startlingly good ISO 400 film), cut the film yourself and mount the transparencies in 6 x 9 mounts available from http://www.tssphoto.com (NEVER scan any film directly on the scanner glass), and you'll be happy with the results.

Of course, if you can swing the bucks for a film scanner like the Nikon 8000 that will accept 120 film, you'll be in hog heaven. If not, take the above advice using a good flatbed scanner with a transparency hood, and you'll do fine.

C. Goff

<font>[ This Message was edited by: cgoff on 2002-01-20 18:56 ]</font>
________
[URL=http://www.ford-wiki.com/wiki/Ford_Cougar_(Europe)]Cougar (Europe)[/URL]

Last edited by cgoff on Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:50 am; edited 1 time in total
jdman

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2002 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I have a visioner 8820, and for the bucks is not to bad. Two questions would increasing the RAM from 64 to 128 speed things up, and how do you scan with out placing the negative directly on the glass? I am working with 40 year old B/W negs in 4x5 size. Russ
LelandRay

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2002 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard way too much good stuff about the Epson, (which is dangerous to my bank account--new toys are the best things of all). I'm using an Agfa T1200 Duoscan for 4x5 transparencies and negatives, and it works quite well, though it cost me a lot more than $399 when I got it several years ago. On the high side, it uses glassless carriers, so there are two extra surfaces I don't have to worry about getting dusty.

For medium format scanning, I use a Minolta Dimage Multi II, which costs a LOT more than either the Epson or the Agfa, but I've made enough money scanning for others that the scanner paid for itself.

[ This Message was edited by: LelandRay on 2002-01-26 17:25 ]
Henry

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2002 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To jdman:
The Epson 1600 comes with negative holders for 35 (negs and mounted slides), 120, and 4x5. These are plastic frames that hold the film about 2.5mm off the glass surface. You can also scan the negs directly on the glass (and adjust the software to allow for this) but may get some Newton's rings that way.
daleraby

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2002 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jdman,

r.e.: expanding memory. It will not speed the scanning process up any.... but it might speed up the image processing part. I once tried to scan an 11x14 print with 32MB of RAM at 300 dpi. After about twenty minutes, I got an error message about not enough memory. Apparently even the swap space couldn't make up for the lack of RAM. You really notice it when you try to manipulate an image you have displayed. Some software... most notably, the Gnu Image Manipulation Program... only retains the part of the image being worked on in RAM. This helps speed things up a bit.

Hope you found some use in this.
45PSS

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2002 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You all got me interested so this may be of help to you.

http://shopper.cnet.com/shopping/resellers/0-7085-311-7312866-0.html?tag=sd

Charles

hartwell_a_m

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2002 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using a CanoScan D 1230U that costs between $400 and $500 or so, and Photoshop 5.6. The CanoScan has cariers for 35mm, 120/220, and 4X5. The computer I'm using is a P-4 1.7Ghz w/ 1GB of ram, and two 100Gb hard drives. I dont encounter out of memory errors anny more.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Film Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: