Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Shutter Lubrication

View previous topic :: View next topic  
novi

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:38 pm    Post subject: Shutter Lubrication Reply with quote

I would like to report on a process that I have had pretty good success with, and that's lubricating my shutter (gears) and casing with Dupont Teflon Dry-Film Lubricant.

After marginal success with the Ronsonol wash (it kept freezing again rinse after rinse), I took the whole shutter apart and scrubbed each nut, bolt and gear by hand. Putting the whole thing back together was a snap

Anyway, I squirted Teflon Dry-Film lubricant in small cup and used q-tips, toothpicks, etc to coat each piece as I put it back together. Anyplace that metal moves against metal got lub.

I did not lubricate any shutter blades. I just very carefully washed them shinny clean.

If you touch a q-tip soaked with this lubricant to a piece of metal, a micro-thin film explodes across the metal. It easily flows into pin holes, joints, etc. I had to concentrate not putting this anywhere it would drip or spread to a shutter blade.

This stuff dries hard and slippery (like a no stick frying pan ). It repels dirt and prevents corrosion.

Now, the speed ring can be adjusted with my thumb and pinky! The one second time actually measures about 860 ms now. The 2 and 5 are 1/4 stop slow, but consistent.
troublemaker

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sounds like it might be good for the slow speed retard and escapement but there are places onthe old shutters that will resist wear better with good old fashioned grease. Yeah it gums up over time, but it also works best for metal to metal wear, esspecially with the cocking mechanisms.
I'll be curious to hear how this is working in a couple months, and then in a year etc...
Two shutters I have here that I used teflon on a couple years ago had to be re-serviced with more traditional lubes as they were dragging. The shutters I did a few years back and used old fashioned lubes are still running well...
novi

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Troublemaker,

Thanks for your reply. At least now I won't lose my mind when it starts messing up again. The Teflon, IMHO, works best for the speed ring and inside the back casing where the shutter lever rub. I have noticed big improvement. I went this route because I really didn't know where to buy more conventional lubes. (??)

The speeds all measure as they are supposed to now except 1 second which is way too fast (.67 sec now) ,and 25 which fires at .035 sec. Odd.

I am still having a problem with inconsistent shutter cocking. Sometimes, inexplicably, the shutter doesn't cock right and blades fire instantaneously (.003 sec) rather then the selected speed. I'll keep tinkering with it.
troublemaker

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to guess you have a Graphex Wollensak shutter by the way you describe one second closing too soon. But the cocking error is also akin to Kodak shutters. Like Imentioned there are a couple key places that require a little light grease, but also, gunked up parts due to dirt and old grease can cause this more often than not. Also the lighter fluid flush can cause all sorts of aggrivating side effects and is only a bandaid at best, and can increase wear and tear by removing grease from where it belongs, though by the time one tries flushingit it is probably gunked up and full of dirt. Note that these old shutters are not sealed, so any dust or foreign matter that gets in the shutter will stick tothe lubes. Eventually the grease and lube will harden, esspecially if sitting in a dusky closet or attic etc..., so you end up with waxy gunk. All the flushing does is piss off this gunk and spread it around. It can and will harden inbetween the cocking and tripping mechanism levers as the flush fluid dries. Does this make sense? I've had shutters that were completely inopperable come right around to being quite dependable after complete dissassembly, careful cleaning and re-assembly.
For my own photo work, I tend to count off any long exposures from 1/2 to 15 seconds in my head.
Also, your lube coating may have created too little friction in the geared retard which is meant to run dry. Only the very pin tips that spin in the holes in the plates get a very tiny amount of very light oil. Sometimes I do not even oil there to prevent migrating. Depends on the shutter.
tsgrimm

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

novi,

Midwest Camera Repair, Wyandotte, MI. An old line family owned and operated camera repair shop from the mid fifties. They were an authorized Graflex Repair Center and have purchased the repair parts inventory from some repair shops as the owners have retired.

They charge about $90.00 for a shutter CLA (depending on the shutter) plus any parts needed, maybe a $5.00 spring. I have had two shutters done there recently and I am very happy with their work.

You are spending a fair amount of money on film and processing for each roll of E-6 or C-41 so it makes sense to have a well running shutter. After all they are at least forty years old and need a cleaning and tune up.

http://www.midwestcamera.com
novi

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ts-

Thank you for your thoughtful reply. The shutter is performing well lately. It is still in good shape (1947 127mm Ektar, Supermatic X) so $60-$100 would be reasonable. On the other hand, I only paid $120 for the whole setup
tsgrimm

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

novi
Glad to hear that things are going well for you. If I tried to do that, I would have parts all over the place;it is something that I don't have the talent for.
ts
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Lenses Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: