Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Graphic View II Owner

View previous topic :: View next topic  
clawhammer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:18 am    Post subject: New Graphic View II Owner Reply with quote

I bought a Graphic View II from my friend last week and got my first 10 sheets of film from the lab today. Great camera, but I've got some learning to do. Only had one shot completely not turn out, but didn't really get any good keepers, which sucks after the 50 bucks spent on film+developing. A couple things I learned:
*No, you can't focus it late at night without a dedicated loupe- 4 shots, none of which are as in-focus as they looked on the glass to my eye (or my 200 f/2.5 35mm lens I used as a stand-in for my loupe).
*Always check to make sure the image is level! 3 architecture shots, 2 of which weren't level.
*Don't waste Film on a sunset you think *might* be good.
*The quick release mount on my Manfrotto 486RC2 ball head WILL hold the monorail in place without having to use the dedicated head.
*Ball heads are a pain to use with 4x5.
Henry

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: New Graphic View II Owner Reply with quote

clawhammer wrote:

*Ball heads are a pain to use with 4x5.

A ball head is useless for critical work, as you discovered when you tried it for architectural shots. On my Century 2x3 I use the Manfrotto medium geared head. Fine adjustments are a cinch with a geared head. There is a larger model which should work on 4x5; it's pricey, but if it does as well as the medium does for me, it would be worth it. (Incidentally, I gave up on the three-stick head ages ago; it's far too awkward to adjust.)
clawhammer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so after a few outings with it, I'm discovering that I would like a wider lens than the 150 that I have on it right now (mainly in terms of field-of-view, but wider coverage would be nice too). I'm looking at a 90mm SA f/6.8- will I need a recessed lensboard or bag bellows with this lens on a GVII?
RichS

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

clawhammer wrote:
Ok, so after a few outings with it, I'm discovering that I would like a wider lens than the 150 that I have on it right now (mainly in terms of field-of-view, but wider coverage would be nice too). I'm looking at a 90mm SA f/6.8- will I need a recessed lensboard or bag bellows with this lens on a GVII?

There is no bag bellows for a GV, but yes there is a recessed lensboard that gives about an inch of recess.
I can't get to my case right now but as I remember, the 90 came in the recessed. You might be able to get away without it but you'd probably have to move the mount to the rear of the rear standard (instead on in between the standards). I can't vouch for this right now.

Recessed lens boards used to be fairly easy to come by. Watch out for the cambo or maybe calumet lens board. It almost the same dimensions but the inward box is just slightly too large to fit inside the standard. Make sure you get one for a GV.

By the way, is "clawhammer" a tool or a way to play the banjo?
clawhammer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice on the recessed board. I realized after posting that they don't make bag bellows for the GV.

Quote:
By the way, is "clawhammer" a tool or a way to play the banjo?

Actually neither. It's an old code name for a processor from AMD. Started using it 8 years ago and never had a need to change.
1banjo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey clawhammer
I use a Calumet Recessed lens boards BUT I had to trim out some of the brass plate on the Bellows to get it in & on the back side of the board is a ridges that needs to be trimed off
and a Burke & James Or Kodak master view & or Calumet they are almost the same lens borads

in it I have a SUPER ANGULON 90mm f8 NICE
the deeper Recessed lens boards gives more movements NO need for a bag bellows BUT I am making my own out of model air plane plywood
to get an other 1/2" back in

a ANGULON 90mm is nice too or a kodak wide field Ektar 100mm I thank
its a f6.8 REALY NICE

the Graphic View Recessed lens boards is 5/8" back & the Burke & James Or Kodak master view & or Calumet 1 1/4" my wood is 1 5/8" back

1banjo

ps RichS dont need to ask I do play the Banjo
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> View Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: