Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Acquired 3A, now I need help

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DHF845

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:57 am    Post subject: Acquired 3A, now I need help Reply with quote

Anyone who's attempted to repair/rebuild a 3A shutter:
I got a good deal on a 3A Graflex, serial number 29201, I think it dates around 1912. Non-autographic, flat-bottomed body style. The camera looks great, hood, bellows, leather covering, handle, etc., all look good. Mirror, lens and ground glass are all sound.
Problem: Shutter doesn't work (that's why camera was low-priced!). I want to fix it, I've fixed other Graflex focal-plane shutters. Symptoms: Mirror flips up, returns down, shutter winds, it's not jammed, but it doesn't run out. Tension knob winds but there's no spring tension.
Complications: The back doesn't come off in one piece (like on a Series B Graflex or Speed Graphic). How do I get to the tension spring, and how do I remove the curtain and rollers? I removed back and bottom brass panel, but it doesn't give enough access. Do I have to peel off the leather and take apart the camera? I'd rather not if there's another way. Helpful advice? Any repair manual out there for the 3A? Someone out there must have done this before. Help!
Got first Speed Graphic at 15 (1976).Other kids were using 35mm SLR's. I ran around with flashbulbs and sheet-film holders, I wanted to be Weegee (#2084).

Last edited by DHF845 on Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
bertsaunders

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:46 pm    Post subject: 3A repair Reply with quote

DHF,
EMAIL ME AT bsaunders1@bak.rr.com I WILL WALK YOU THRU THE PROCEEDURE
HAVE A NICE DAY.....BERT
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Reflex Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: