Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kodak Flash Supermatic troubles

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mopar_guy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 2:39 am    Post subject: Kodak Flash Supermatic troubles Reply with quote

Greetings all: In the last year I have purchased two 2x3 Pacemaker Crown Graphics. Camera #1 has a Kodak Ektar 101mm f4.5 in a Kodak Flash Supermatic shutter. Lens number EI699 and Camera Serial Number 731102. This came to me as part of a kit that included an older model Graflex 2-cell flash and a vintage sync cord. All of the shutter speeds seem to be close and the camera produced some decent negatives on Plus-X rollfilm. When I tried to use the flash with the camera I was able to get the shutter to fire the flash one time with no problem. Then the next time that I tried to use the flash, nothing happened. OK so I take the sync cord off the flash and use the little red button and Poof, the flash fires. Well... I thought that the old sync cord had gone bad and that I would have to replace it! Well time went by and I didn't get the new cord but I did get Camera #2. Camera # 2 has a Kodak Ektar 105mm f3.7 also in a Kodak Flash Supermatic shutter. Lens number ES3009 and Camera Serial Number 731926. When the new camera came I thought why not try the flash again. I did and Poof and Poof and Poof. Every thing works with the old sync cord, no problems. So here is my Question--What are the chances that someone could fix the the Kodak Flash Supermatic shutter of camera #1 so that it will close the contact and fire the flash? Any opinions and options for repair would be welcome. Thanks, Dave
glennfromwy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try www.flutotscamerarepair.com to see if Carol is back from her leave. Excellent shutter repair at very reasonable prices. Carol had been on R&R leave but I understand she may be back to work. Also check the continuity of your cord while bending and wiggling it around. A broken wire can work in one position and not another. It can drive a person nuts trying to figure it out.

"Wyoming - Where everybody is somebody else's weirdo"

Last edited by glennfromwy on Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
mopar_guy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 3:46 pm    Post subject: Kodak Flash Supermatic troubles Reply with quote

Glenn,
Thank you for your input. I will be ordering a replacement cord through Paramount Cords this week. As an update I will say that I have recieved an offer to service the shutter as a private message through this forum. Apparently somebody had removed a resistor from the shutter in an effort to use it with electronic flash. Repairs are underway. I should get the lens/shutter back this week and I will post a report at that time.
Dave
mopar_guy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:21 pm    Post subject: Film test for shutter Reply with quote

Hello,

I had wanted to test out my repaired shutter but my darkroom is torn apart at the moment.

The film is developed and everything works perfectly. Test exposures were made at night with flashbulbs.

The moral of the story is: If your equipment needs repair or service, just do it and you will be happy with the result.

Thanks are due to Charles Monday (AKA member 45pss) for his repair. I see a posting in the Reflex Help forum that 45pss will be leaving Graflex.org in a couple of weeks. I have been spending some time lately browsing through old listings and I am staggered by the sheer volume of the help postings that Charles has made. Thanks for sharing your experience and knowledge to benefit others.

Best regards,
Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Lenses Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: