Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anytone seen one of these flashes...?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
vic valis

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd include pix, but they're locked in the digital camera unti I get home and download them. Anyhow, it looks like a standard Eveready 2- or 3-cell flashlight, only in place of the lens is a flash socket and on the body is hardware for the flash bracket and a push-button instead of a slide switch... stamped "eveready" on the bottom, but says RICHARDSON SYNCHRONIZER on the side. A search of "Richardson" on this site prouced one or two mentions of the manufacturer, but info on their units. The lens has an interesting solenoid attached. Anyone know anything about these? The wiring is permanantly attached and shot to hell, and I'd like to try and replace it. Has in interesting terminal attachement to the solenoid too, don't know if it's a standard type (I'm not familiar with it at least) or if it's something unique to the manufacturer. Anyone with ideas or info, let me know.

jeff

It said "good-bye."
vic valis

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And a followup: though the rubber coating ont he outside of the wiring had pretty much disintigrated, the wiring was intact enough for me to try the unit out with the solenoid, and it works just fine. In fact, it was so fun to watch I tried it a half dozen times. Jeez, I'm easily entertained. The unit uses an ASA bayonete terminal, available through Paramount, so I'll probably be replacing the wiring sometime soon, though I will have to drill out some rivets to completely disassembe the unit. Now if anyone has any suggestions where I can find small rivits cheap, it would be greatly appreciated.

jeff

It said "good-bye."
Henry

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've found small rivets in the parts drawers at hardware stores (the local "independents" such as Ace or ServiStar are best for this).

The ASA bayonet flash connector was favored by Kodak. I have a Kodak flash unit from the '50s with such a device (used it with my Pony 135). This one is easy to open up, and all the internal soldered connections are accessible from the battery compartment. I've been thinking of rewiring it with a female bipost cord to use on my Graphex shutters. I have about 4 dozen flashbulbs , both white and blue in size 5/25, just waiting to burn a hole in my pocket.

[ This Message was edited by: Henry on 2006-05-29 08:16 ]
vic valis

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, after careful examination it looks like once the channel along the exterior of the unit that houses the wiring is removed, it's an easy matter to unscrew the socket portion and get to parts where the wiring will need soldering. Riveting it back togeter will be interesting though. Thanks, I've only ever found large rivets most of thehardware shops in my area, though I did find a bunch at a machine shop once... they gave me a handfull and said keep 'em, no charge.

jeff

It said "good-bye."
Henry

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Instead of rivets, would small machine screws/nuts or self-tapping screws work? These might be just as hard to locate as rivets, though. Try the model railroad hobby shops?
vic valis

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the body is awfully thin, so there would be nothing for the screw threads to bite into. Nah, rivits are the way to go.

jeff

It said "good-bye."
vic valis

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I've been in contact with Paramount cords about the terminal to the flash, which looks like an ASA bayonette (at least it finctions like one: press the cord terminal over the solenoid terminal and then give a quarter rotation to lock it into place). Hoever, from the images I sent them, they do not think it's an ASA. So I'm tossing out my images and see if anyone knows what it it. They are posted at

http://share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=8AYsmLdo3YsmKu¬ag=1

thanks,
jeff

It said "good-bye."
disemjg

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can get miniature rivets (and a big selection of other odd hardware) at smallparts.com
George B

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a standard GM connector used in prewar car radios. I use them restoring those sets. If you still need one email me. BTW: Your soldering skills better be good.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Flash Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: