Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Century Graphic lens board
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
clnfrd

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 2:27 am    Post subject: Century Graphic lens board Reply with quote

I need a lens board for the Trioptar Lens/Century Shutter I just acquired for my Century Graphic, but has the world gone totally bonkers? $88.00 for one? http://cgi.ebay.com/Graflex-2x3-Century-Graflex-lens-board-HardToFind_W0QQitemZ290211779938QQihZ019QQcategoryZ15247QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I think I'll get my machinist son to tool up for these and go into production!!!
45PSS

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, that seller always lists everything in the stratosphere, sad part is there are some ??????? that pay those prices.
hurdy_gurdyman

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy c**p! I have a lens board for a 4 x 5 I'd sell anyone here for half that. I won't mention any of the places you can get these for under $20.

Dave
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

www.mpex.com sold blank boards for $29 until recently. The last time I visite their site I couldn't find 'em, but its worth asking.

www.skgrimes.com sells blank boards for around the same price, also drills to order.
C. Henry

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hurdy_gurdyman wrote:
Holy c**p! I have a lens board for a 4 x 5 I'd sell anyone here for half that. I won't mention any of the places you can get these for under $20.

Dave

That board is for 2 x 3 Pacemakers not 4 x 5 cameras. Still the price is way too high!

C. Henry
clnfrd

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

$88.00 and the hole is too big. Anyway, I may be dumb, but I'm not stupid. The hole is too big anyway. The little Trioptar is more in the order of 7/8". I had already checked at Midwest and S.K...and searched the web.
Just one of those deals. I've had several boards but down to none. I think I'll go to the hobby shop...buy some wood...and make one. Thanks. Fred.
Les

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Mpex was getting their board from Fred, and while I can't confirm it, I think Fred is now conversing with William Folmer and George Eastman, eye to eye.
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Les, you may be right about Fred's condition. But when I asked him about boards some years ago, he said that he bought them.
R_J

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Les wrote:
I think Mpex was getting their board from Fred, and while I can't confirm it, I think Fred is now conversing with William Folmer and George Eastman, eye to eye.

No doubt several of the forum users are wondering whether Fred could be called back, since Century Graphic lensboards are in short supply.

Thinking better of it,

Pax te cum.

RJ
EASmithV

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hell at that price I'd just make my own. They are simple enough in design, if you dont mind working with inauthentic equipment.
Henry

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, me too. Any suggestions on how to fabricate the lip? I suppose it's possible to cut a piece of sheet brass to shape and solder
a brass strip around the perimeter. The trickiest part might be figuring a way to clamp the pieces while you solder. Sounds like a trip to
the hobby shop is in order.
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Henry wrote:
Yeah, me too. Any suggestions on how to fabricate the lip? I suppose it's possible to cut a piece of sheet brass to shape and solder
a brass strip around the perimeter. The trickiest part might be figuring a way to clamp the pieces while you solder. Sounds like a trip to
the hobby shop is in order.
Henry, you might ask Glenn Thoreson how he made his. AFAIK, he made a wooden mandrel, beat sheet metal over it, and trimmed the edges.
C. Henry

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's not panic about this! Last time I looked (Monday afternoon this week) S. K. Grimes was still listing Graflex lens boards in sizes to fit both 2x3 & the larger size post WW2 Graflex cameras as "stock items"!
As 45PSS stated that particular seller has a habit of listing items at extremely high prices. I am watching it on eBay and doubt that he will get even one bid.

C. Henry

Last edited by C. Henry on Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:15 am; edited 2 times in total
45PSS

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have made boards for 4x5 pacemakers and instead of forming a lip I routed them flush to the edge as wood and acrylic chiped off flush when trying to route the lip. I found that the boards are light tight without it when they sit flush and the center of the board just fits into the bellows opening. If forming from metal then I would make the lip.
clnfrd

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Begging your pardon. gentlemen. When I searched SK Grimes' site a while back, I could not find the "Baby Graphic Lens Board"...but after seeing C Henry's post, I looked again...and voila!!...there it is. Thank you. Fred.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Lenses Help All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: