Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Opinions on tripods and tripod head choices

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Numinous

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:32 pm    Post subject: Opinions on tripods and tripod head choices Reply with quote

I've been searching and searching on ebay for tripods and tripod heads and have missed what appeared to be some pretty good deals. I need something that will reliably support my Crown 45.

I'm not a purist so my choices are between Giottos and Manfrotto for legs - I've been looking at a Manfrotto 3221 as well as Giottos GB 3 or 4 series or the newer MT 9 series. I seem to have narrowed the choice of head to Manfrotto 3047 and Giottos 5001.

The question: has anyone here had any experience with any of these units? Does anyone have other recommendations?
Henry

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may want something heavier-duty for your 4x5 than what I use with my Century 2x3, but FWIW I've been using a Bogen-Manfrotto 3001 tripod with a B-M 410 medium geared head (cat. no 3275). The geared head is designed to accept a quick-release plate. It's all marvelously quick and easy to set up, adjust, and take down, and I will never go back to those tripod heads with the three rods sticking out!
Numinous

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've researched the B-M 3001 and 3021 and figured they were a bit lightweight. Years ago, when I first had a Speed, I used a Star-D, one of which I have now, but I really want to upgrade. The Star is adequate but not a brilliant tripod. I have no idea what it's rated for in terms of maximum load, but I've settled on 22 lbs as desirable.

From what I can tell, the Manfrottos are excellent tripods in general. I'm glad to hear you're pleased with yours. The 410 looks like a really great head but is, sadly, a little over my budget.

Thanks for your reply,
Numinous
Les

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a 3020 tripod with a joystick head on it for just about everything in the field (35mm to Speed Graphic at least) The Speed, with it's limited movements acts more like a big box camera than a view camera, so the ball head makes quick work of setting the camera level.

When I backpack with a Crown I use a 3001. While I probably wouldn't put a 15" teleoptar on the camera with a 3001 underneath, it works, being lighter weight, it's also a bit shorter.

I've found that I like a tripod that can get the ground glass to at least eye level, the 3020 does that.

I have the 3050 tripod with a 3047 head, and while I use this in the studio, I think the 3047 head is overkill and awkward on anything less than the 3050.

I just did a run out to the Grand Canyon and Los Angeles and the 3020 was the first think in the car.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Accessories Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: