Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Graflex Super D body construction:

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Negative Energy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:15 am    Post subject: Graflex Super D body construction: Reply with quote

My 3 1/4 x 4 1/4 Super D seems to have developed what looks like an incipient crack (?) in the side of the camera body that runs in a straight line, front to back starting at the height where the top of the front lens hatch opens. Is there a joint there?

The camera was an e-Bay find and came with an declared history of being kept in an unheated shed. I replaced the optics (fungus city) but everything else seemed OK.

The camera was recently shipped and even though it was packed well, it was obvious the Post Office was bringing new meaning to the term "drop ship."

Do I need to be concerned?

Thanks!
bertsaunders

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:41 pm    Post subject: super body problem Reply with quote

Neg energy,
The body construction on the Super D is like all Graflex models, box jointed at the four corners! The only concern that I would have would be, is the body still solid, and >light leaks<! You should remove the back to see if it has cracked all the way thru (the back would hold it together)! If it is cracked all the way thru, Elmers glue should be applied, any place that you can reach the crack, and strapped or clamped to keep it in place!
Contact me via email at
bsaunders1@bak.rr.com
I can walk you thru dissassembly proceedures if you need clerification!
Have a nice day.....Bert
Negative Energy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Possible crack/split Reply with quote

Bert:

Thanks! I'll keep an eye on it. I used the camera last night and it performed beautifully. My guess is if I don't manhandle it, it should be fine. The camera has a flat spot on the bottom corner and it may have been dropped in a previous life.

Best,

Negative Energy aka RA Friedman
bertsaunders

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:16 pm    Post subject: super body problem Reply with quote

Negitive Energy mailed a photo of the area in question, after looking at my own (2) Super 3x4 cameras, discovered the same leatherette
"buckle" on mine, in the same area....in line with the front door hinge, on the shutter release side of the body! Feared it might have been a dropped camera, and broken....but apparently just a fluke that happened more than once at the factory! Problem solved!
Anyone else ever notice this "fluke", (for want of a better term) on any of their cameras??????
Have a nice day........Bert
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Reflex Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: