Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

earliest graflex flash

View previous topic :: View next topic  
fuzzyg

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:06 pm    Post subject: earliest graflex flash Reply with quote

hello,
i'm doing research for a film taking place from 1929-34....i would like to know what are the earliest flash units used with top handle speed graphic cameras....were they mounted to the cameras? does anyone have pictures? my best guess is the ******** unit, but i'm at a loss....
warmest regards,
fuzzyg
Les

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry this took so long and you've probably got an answer by now. Graflex didn't get into the Flash market until 1940-41 so at era 1929-1934 would be a Pre-Ann with either a Heiland, Mendelson or flash powder.
glennfromwy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prior to about 1938, flashbulbs were rarely able to synchronize with the shutter and were generally used as open flash. They weren't consistent enough to synchronize. If you can get a copy of Morgan and Lester's 1939 book on Synchro Flash photography, it gives some pretty good information on the flash techniques and equipment of the day. I have a most unique flash gun that came with a Rex Labs crime scene camera of about 193? vintage. It's nothing but a 2 cell household flashlight with a reflector that fits on in place of the flashlight head. Open flash for sure.

"Wyoming - Where everybody is somebody else's weirdo"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Flash Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: